The predominant baitfish in the larger local rivers and reservoirs is Gizzard Shad. Gizzard Shad aren't very cold-hardy, and so in our latitude, there is generally a shad die-off in the cold months. A few survive and repopulate the waters the following Spring.
Late Fall is a good time to fish a "dying shad" imitation in the rivers below dams. Walleyes, Crappies, and Wipers are typical predators in this situation locally. Catfish can be caught also, but they tend to head to deep holes in winter months.

Similar patterns can be used in these same places early in the year, right after ice-out. Shad that died during the Winter, floated, and got frozen when the surface ice formed are released as the ice melts away. Its an easy feast for cool-water predators.

I wanted to tie up something reasonably realistic, that would behave like a dying shad, which often swim on their sides, or get "rolled" in the water. This is what I came up with. Pretty simple. I've tied with these tails before, but this time I tied it so it would be flat/horizontal in the water, rather than vertical.

Top view:

Side view:

I know there are flatwing streamers out there. What else do you guys use for this situation?