+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying Tip I got from john Juracek this summer

Blog Entries

Default Tying Tip I got from john Juracek this summer

John Juracek is co-owner of Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone with Craig Mathews. I stopped in there a number of times this summer while fishing in the area. One afternoon, the shop was pretty much empty and I talked John into tying me a fly. He asked what fly I wanted to see, I said: "tie whatever you like". He tied an X Caddis.
    The tip is this (am sure many already do this): Trim the butt ends of the deer hair/elk hair before tying it in. Just trim the butt ends at your measure point.

It seems to provide a neater head.
    PS this fly is not the best, but put it here to show the head.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 12-15-2011 at 10:00 PM.

I've seen this before, and really like it - the head hair flares out to look more realistic.

I started doing that a few years ago after seeing Han's video on the CDC & Elk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJyIbgKYHwY

Its fun going to Blue Ribbon and see guys like John and Craig Mathews tying flies, isn't it?

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

yes, and Bucky. He's like the head shop guy. I think he told me he personally ties about 700 dozen flies a year for the shop. It is one of the few shops where the principals tie most of the flies they stock. He, Juracek and Mathews tie a lot of their flies for sale in the bins.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Have had the good fortune of spending time in there talking to Craig and John. One of my tying mentors here in MI swears by their hair, says it makes all the difference when tying. Bought some a few years ago and he is absolutely correct. Their Comparadun hair and x-caddis hair is made for those flies. Saves a ton of time and headache by using them. In addition, both are extremely nice gentlemen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beakster62 View Post
    Have had the good fortune of spending time in there talking to Craig and John. One of my tying mentors here in MI swears by their hair, says it makes all the difference when tying. Bought some a few years ago and he is absolutely correct. Their Comparadun hair and x-caddis hair is made for those flies.
    BRF is the best place ot buy deer hair. I only wish they had a good supply of elk hair as well.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    BRF is the best place ot buy deer hair. I only wish they had a good supply of elk hair as well.
    You've had problems getting elk hair from them? Always seems to be a good supply whenever I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Actually, Jimmy's All Season Angler in Idaho Falls is the best place to buy deer hair. And they have great elk hair also.
    The fish are always right.

Arrow Picked up on the technique ...

... of trimming the hair before tying it in somewhere along the line a number of years ago.

Having watched most of the best tiers living / working within a hundred mile or so radius of Idaho Falls at least a time or two on any given Saturday morning between mid November and early March at Jimmy's All Season Angler for six or seven years, it's likely I got it from one of them. Lawson, Jacklin, Staples, Sanchez, Harrop, Stenerson, Galloup, Goodrich, Glissmeyer, Wooley - well, you get the idea.

But I never did like that traditional "elk hair caddis" head. The best technique that I learned at Jimmy's was to cut the hair about 1/8 to 1/4" longer than needed for the wing, loop the tying thread around it loosely at the tie in point and then take the first wrap around the shank. The hair will stay nicely bunched on top of the shank and will flair forward of the tie in point. Then, still holding the wing firmly, take numerous wraps through the butts, creating a bulletproof wing, finished off with a thread head or however you want to finish the front of the fly.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread