+ Reply to Thread

Thread: loop knot for tippet to fly

Default loop knot for tippet to fly

First, yes JC I did use search and I did look at the knot section, but I did not find what I am looking for. I am lookng for a simple loop knot that I can use to attach my fly to the tippet in order to get what I hope will be a better and more natural presentation to both wet and dry flys. I am going to try some fluorocarbon tippet material this weekend for the fisrt time and use two chronomids is a dropper set up. But I want to attach both to the tippet using loops. What do you guys who use loop attachments for your flys use? I have been planning on giving this a try for some time, but old dogs are slow to tkae to new tricks.

Jim

Blog Entries

4beader,
    I use the "Lefty's Loop Knot". [url=http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/articles/connections4.html:dddab]http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/articles/connections4.html[/url:dddab]
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Surgeon's loop

I use a bowlin, except I make an 'overhand' knot instead of the loop at the start. In extreem conditions it might be necessary to wrap the tag end around the standing part more than once. But, so far, once has held everything for me.

Man I love this place! The Lefty's knot seems like the deal for me. Even my old eyes can see well enough to tie that one. THANKS ALOT. JC, sorry about the comment addressed to you, but I just could not resist it...the devil made me do it!

Jim

I have been using that loop I just described since the sixties. I see now the great 'Lefty' has claimed it? I just checked the link above, first time I have ever seen 'his' kmot. Glad he likes it. It has worked well.

In Sosin and Kreh "Practical Fishing Knots", that knot is described as the "Non-slip Loop Knot". I'm guessing that the name "Lefty's Knot" was applied by someone else, possibly down under.

The book I have was published in 1991, but it is a revision of a book published much earlier. The inside front page says that the 1991 book is a revision of "Practical Fishing Knots" by Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin (author's names reversed) that was published in 1972.

There is also some indication that there was a earlier publication by Left Kreh that was titled just "Fishing Knots". No publication date is given for that, which makes me think it might have been a simple pamplet with no publication date.

Maybe Sosin thought Lefty's pamplet might make a useful book, and that was the origin of the 1972 publication. But that's speculation on my part.

I don't know whether the "Non-slip Loop Knot" appears in the earlier publications.

I thought the difference was that the "Lefty-version" passed through the overhand knot in both directions, while the "non-slip" only passed through after the turns.

+ Reply to Thread