Sport fishing column for Dec 12 to 19, 2011

Two weeks to Christmas; this week on our list of gift ideas, we offer traditional and useful gift idea for the angler on your list.

A fishing rod: If this is the gift you wish to give, my suggestion is state your intentions in a Christmas card. Tell your angler that you wish to accompany him or her to their favorite shop and let him or her pick their rod. With the massive selection of rods on the market today letting your angler choose for themselves, ensures that the right choice will be made. You could slip a gift card in with the Christmas card, but if you want to give this gift a personal touch, go the extra mile.

Long underwear: Many wouldn't think of this item for a Christmas gift, but trust me this one will be valued. Anglers are outside in all kinds of weather and hypothermia is often a real threat in early spring and fall. Long johns as they are commonly known come in two styles; one piece, also know as a union suite, and the two piece. Each angler will have their own preference. The union suite can be harder to find, but can tell you Whole Sale Sports has them on sale. Two piece long johns are made by a number of different manufactures. Having years of personal experience with both styles and all brands, I have found the two piece Dakota brand to be the most comfortable.

Warm Socks: This is another item not thought of, when it comes to fishing. Many people make a mistake when buying warm socks. You want wool, the higher the wool content in the fabric blend the better. The manufacturers of all the man made fibers make grandiose claims about their ability to keep your feet warm, but in the end nothing beats wool and wool also works when wet.

Rain gear: Here is an item that has frustrated more outdoorsman than any other part of their gear. Good breathable rain gear will keep your angler dry and happy when nature throws its worst. Poor quality rain gear leaves one just as wet with it on as not, due to condensation. Good rain gear may not have your angler singing in the rain, but can bet they will be smiling.

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slow. For better success try a slow troll or retrieve, in the northwest sections of your favorite lake, from mid morning, through mid afternoon with: Coachman, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Sixpack, Dragonfly Nymph, Halfback, Doc Spratley, Baggy Shrimp, or Zulu.

The Fraser River back waters are fishing slow to fair for cutthroat. For cutthroat try: Eggo, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Mickey Finn, Stonefly Nymph, or American Coachman.

The Stave River is fair to slow for coho and cutthroat. For coho try: Christmas Tree, Rolled Muddler, olive Wooly Bugger, Bite Me, or Coho Blue.

The Harrison River is fair for coho, and cutthroat.

The Thompson River is fair to good for steelhead and rainbow. Try: Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, Popsicle, Kaufmann Stone, Steelhead Spratley, or polar Shrimp.