+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat lead for weighting nymphs

Default Flat lead for weighting nymphs

I've seen several videos where flat lead is used to weight nymphs, especially czech nymphs. Where can I get it? The "match book" like lead weights appear to be too large. I haven't seen them in catalogs? Any sources? Thanks

AlanB Guest

Good wine used to have a lead seal around the cork. For many years this was the most common source. Of course it it really easy to make your own. Put some lead wire on your table and roll it with any round tool handle. A few passes and there you go.
    Cheers,
    A.

My alcohol consuming friends save the lead foil from their champagne bottles and such. It works fine but lacks the adhesive backing that the stuff that NJTroutBum posted.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks folks, thought I missed out on something to spend my tying funds on (:>)>
    Last edited by Kytroutbum; 12-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.

If you have one nearby check out Sportsman's Warehouse.

Cliff

Fly Tying Specialties has flat lead strips and also lead free strips if you are so inclined.
    http://www.flytyingspecialties.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products _id=239

Quote Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
    I've seen several videos where flat lead is used to weight nymphs, especially czech nymphs. Where can I get it? The "match book" like lead weights appear to be too large. I haven't seen them in catalogs? Any sources? Thanks
    No need to get it from a fly shop. The cheapest source is to go to a sports shop and buy the lead tape that is used to adjust the head weight of golf clubs and tennis raquets.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/300...-lead-tape-1-2

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAA#ps-sellers
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

If you need only a few inches of flat lead strip try using your vise. Using no more than normal hook clamping force you can flatten the standard round wire. I just measured some. .025 wire was flattened to .008 inches. Simply "walk along " the wire step by step. This is thin enough for me. Good luck.

The lead tape from the golf store solution is fine, if you want to spend the time cutting your own (it is a bit of a pain, especially for smaller sizes). The home made remedies work as well, but your will not get square edges like the premade product. As Jayatwork pointed out, Steve Korbay at Fly Tying Specialties is traditionally the first place I look for Czech nymph products in the US.

That being said, never really thought the time nor price was worth the return, but YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread