Thread: Book Review - The Pard?n de Meana in English ( Coq de Leon Mayflies )

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Book Review - The Pard?n de Meana in English ( Coq de Leon Mayflies )

Last weekend I received my copy of The Pardon de Meana and The Feather of Gallo De Leon by Luis Meana Baeza. Luis is the creator of the famous Pard?n de Meana Mayfly. I was very surprised at its large size ( 9.75" X 11.75" ) and weight ( over 3 pounds ).

The Prologue and Introduction takes readers to The Pardon de Meana ( the authors creation of the famous Spanish Mayfly ) and the wonderful use of The Feather of Gallo de Leon ( Coq de Leon feathers, also known as CDC or GDL ).

Chapter 1 - Comments about the fly and its uses are given by an International group of Celebrity Tyers.

Chapter 2 - Has a fascinating History of Fly Fishing in Spain

Chapter 3 - The Feather of Gallo de Leon. The photos are huge and beautifully done with close ups rarely seen in most tying books. It gives a complete history of the bird, genetics, conservation, the area of Spain where they reside and even the exploitation. The Coq de Leon quality criteria and a complete classification of the numerous varieties. I cannot explain the beauty of the photographs and the color and detail captured in each feather.

Chapter 4 - The Pard?n de Meana, its Origin, evolution, features and how to fish it.

Chapter 5 - The Pard?n de Meana Collection and Tying Step-by-steps. This section takes up half of the entire book!!! There are quite a collection of these wonderful flies in an assortment of colors and varieties. I just cannot stress to you how wonderful the photos are. Over-sized and very detailed in full color. From each fly to their step-by-steps and their materials. Not just a materials list, but photos of the materials needed to tie the fly.

Out of respect for the Authors fine work I chose not to copy the step-by-steps, those you will just have to check out yourself.

I highly recommend this book and there are only 500 copies printed in English, so you had better hurry. It will soon become one of those treasured Out-of-Print books that you wish you had bought at the original offering. They have offered it to English readers at a reduced price. Normally the selling price of this great book is 58 ?, but they are introducing it with a wonderful promotion, only 38 ?, ( $50.00 ) a ridiculous price considering the quality of this book.

For those of you that are interested, follow this link available in English and Spanish. Please take a Look: www.cotossalmoneros.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveMac; 12-15-2011 at 04:38 PM.