+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bowling Green, KY fishing?

Hybrid View

Default Bowling Green, KY fishing?

Will be visiting there soon. Anyone familiar with the flyfishing opportunities. I note there is a city pond (Three Springs?) that is stocked with trout.

I haven't been in BG since the 60's where I was in college.I fly fished there and loved it.First of all,the Barren river flows through town.It is great brim water.
    I remember a deadly technique was to go down a shoreline working no more than 30 ft of line with a black chennille spider with white rubber legs,letting the
    bug sink within inches of the bank(if a little muddy even better.There are some springs near the Barren at beach bend(muskies use to be in this water)South of
    town there is Drakes creek(muskies),Trammel creek both great smallmouth and spotted bass and panfish.Also near town was a lake called Shanty Hollow that
    was full of bass,big bluegills and great shellcracker fishing.I could go on and on.It is a great place,do yourself a favour and stay there a while and enjoy it.

I fished trammel last year and really enjoyed it. Its a small stream and offers the seclusion that I like when fishing. At least it did when I got a little way from the road. The out of state license keeps me from fishing there as much as I would like to. But I've recently gotten permission to fish the TN side from the farmer that owns the land there. I don't know if the stockers have madde it that far or not but I can't wait to find out.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

If you have the time, a trip to Kentucky and/or Barkley lakes could be fun. They're not too far from BG. They're both enormous reservoirs, but the fishing is excellent. They were featured in the most recent issue of Eastern Fly Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread