+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: slingpacks?

Default slingpacks?

I've got an old canvas creel I've been using as a sling pack for the last couple of years. It keeps everything I need but when I got to cast or move around much it falls around in front of me instead of staying on my back until I need it. I've seen the slingpacks advertised in magazines and stuff, but I just wonder if any of them actually stay put where you want them? I just watched a video of an Orvis sling pack and naturally it stayed put during the advertising, but I wonder how well it does in the real world? Here is the link, http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6P any comments?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Arrow Not a slingpack ...

... as such, but the Fishpond chest pack does the job. Follow the link.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/productpi...-juanmain1.jpg

The pic doesn't show the neck strap, but it has the same kind of clips as the waist belt shown. If you attach both clips of the neck strap to the right side loop ( with the pack facing away from you ) and then slide your left arm through it after putting the neck strap around your neck, it works nicely as a slingpack.

You can move it back out of the way, to the left as far as you want, and it pretty much stays there. To use it, just pull it around front. If you are on the tall side, the neck strap might not be long enough. In that case, you should be able to get some webbing strap to modify the original.

John

P.S. These Fishpond chest packs are bulletproof. I got hundreds and hundreds of days out of my first one, and my current ( second ) one looks like it will last for a long, long time yet. Another advantage is that I can wear a Camelbak Rim Runner hydration pack when needed and still use the chest pack as a slingpack as described.
    The fish are always right.

John,
    Does that chest pack have a pocket that'll keep things dry? I'm not the most graceful of fellows and I'd feel better knowing that my wallet and cell phone was in a dry spot. I know some frown on taking a phone on the water and I'm not crazy about it but after 3 knee surgeries the wife wants me to take it. And to be honest I do feel safer with it.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I think I have tried every thing out there. I found something I didn't like about all of them so have kept trying something else forever Right now I really like the sling packs or Satchels.

The problem is you need to be choosy. I have discarded a few of them as well. I tried the Orvis Sling pack and gave it away, the pockets were just designed to be a major pain. I am using a satchel at the moment for my spinning gear (Very Ultra-light) and a sling for my fly fishing gear. The sling is fairly new so I am not ready to make any recommendations as of yet.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I have something called a De-vest, that I got on e-bay. It made me think of the harness that used to come on the wicker creels - it kept the creel from falling forward. I could send it to you, it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    ...Does that chest pack have a pocket that'll keep things dry? ....
    There is one internal pocket that is large enough for a wallet or phone, maybe both. It's not waterproof, but if you put the wallet or phone in a ziplock bag, the odds of it being damaged from a brief dunking are pretty remote. A securely closed plastic baggie would provide additional protection.
    The fish are always right.

I'm using the FishPond Blue River pack and carry it as a sling pack most of the time. Stays where I put it, has plenty of room for what I need, isn't waterproof, but as John said a ziplock bag solves that issue just fine.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

After Carys' surgery I got him an Orvis sling pac. He can comfortably wear it all day long without it banging into his belly, and it does stay in place ... where ever you put it. Personally? I think you'd like it!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Tom Rosenbauer says he prefers a sling pack to the chest pack.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I use a Duluth Pack brand shot shell bag made of canvas and leather, and wear it like a creel. It has a thin leather strap which helps it stay put better than my larger Clear Creek satchel with a wide, paddded nylon strap.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread