+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: slingpacks?

If I were to keep fish, absolutely.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    So if I'm following correctly the orvis sling pack stays where you put it? I really like using my old canvas creel as a slimg pack but its real annoying by not staying where I put it. I don't want to ask santa for one of these if its not going to stay put. They're to expensive to be annoying.
    Why don't you add a loop on the bottom to go around your wader belt? Either velcro or a snap. You will have to undo it before swinging it to the front but, if you like using your canvas bag, this might be an option

I was looking at the Orvis sling pack. I was impressed, especially because it's waterproof. I needed more room, however, so I bought their backpack.

Of course I also love my Simms waterproof fanny pack.

Randy

As you can see everyone has there preferences. So i will tell you mine. i have the William Joseph sling creel. I get the best of both worlds, it si a chest pack that will hold everything needed for a full day of fishing, and a back back with room for a wading jackect (packed tight), and drink and snack plus a seperate back compartment seperated from the other for a few fish (if your into that sort of thing). It hangs over one shoulder and under the other, It stays in place and i can spin it around to get to the backpack part just like the orvis sling pack. i recommend checking it out also before making a desision.

Patagonia has a new sling pack. If you've watched Buccaneers and Bones on the Outdoor Channel you might have seen Aaron Adams wearing one. Here is a link.http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=48325-0-961. And here is a link to Midcurrent which has a vido of Bill Klyn from Patagonia demonstrating it. http://midcurrent.com/2011/10/05/new...rom-patagonia/
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If your on a budget , I bought a salt and pepper swiss army surplus bag for 16 bucks. Built from very good canvas and trimmed in bridle leather. Its about 6 by 9 inches which is perfect for a day on the stream. For the money it's hard to beat. I do own a few other's that cost alot more but this one is a favorite.

Hi everyone, my first post on the forum & of coarse it is to thank you for all the great suggestions! I'm new to fly fishing & don't think I will take to a vest very well (I tend to lose my keys in my jeans pockets)... I am currently looking at several of the 'slingpack' options mentioned in this thread & hope to get some hands on experience at one of the local fishing shops over the weekend. Thanks again!

I just bought this one on sale on Amazon. It's well made and very water resistant, but not waterproof. Also, if you're tall, over 6 feet, the strap is probably too short.

I paid 16 bucks for it. It comes with a clip so you can keep it from moving (as long as you have something to clip it to.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IJQGUQ
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 03-02-2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    I've got an old canvas creel I've been using as a sling pack for the last couple of years. It keeps everything I need but when I got to cast or move around much it falls around in front of me instead of staying on my back until I need it. I've seen the slingpacks advertised in magazines and stuff, but I just wonder if any of them actually stay put where you want them? I just watched a video of an Orvis sling pack and naturally it stayed put during the advertising, but I wonder how well it does in the real world? Here is the link, http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H6P any comments?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    And here is the link to the purchasers' own reviews of the product :http://www.orvis.com/store/reviews.a...d=3H6P&bvmode= .

According to the Orvis product page, "123 of 129 (95%) reviewers would recommend this product to a friend." Pretty high praise, I think, considering that these sorts of customer review pages often serve as a complaint box if the product is disappointing. In this case at least, apparently Rosenbauer's opinion is confirmed by the people who shelled out good money.

+ Reply to Thread