+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slingpacks?

Hybrid View

I'm using the FishPond Blue River pack and carry it as a sling pack most of the time. Stays where I put it, has plenty of room for what I need, isn't waterproof, but as John said a ziplock bag solves that issue just fine.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

After Carys' surgery I got him an Orvis sling pac. He can comfortably wear it all day long without it banging into his belly, and it does stay in place ... where ever you put it. Personally? I think you'd like it!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Tom Rosenbauer says he prefers a sling pack to the chest pack.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I use a Duluth Pack brand shot shell bag made of canvas and leather, and wear it like a creel. It has a thin leather strap which helps it stay put better than my larger Clear Creek satchel with a wide, paddded nylon strap.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I have the Orvis sling pack, and it's "just right." Not bulky, can be turned behind me completely out of the way, holds just enough stuff plus a water bottle (I'm a minimalist-small boxes, tippet, hemos, floatant, glasses, tiny camera). Light and convenient. Most importantly, adjustable and comfortable.

Another vote here for the fishpond pack. Its handy in front when you need it and swings out of the way to the back when you don't. Very well built and holds just what you really need for the day.

So if I'm following correctly the orvis sling pack stays where you put it? I really like using my old canvas creel as a slimg pack but its real annoying by not staying where I put it. I don't want to ask santa for one of these if its not going to stay put. They're to expensive to be annoying.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    I use a Duluth Pack brand shot shell bag made of canvas and leather, and wear it like a creel. It has a thin leather strap which helps it stay put better than my larger Clear Creek satchel with a wide, paddded nylon strap.

aa
    aa, I believe I own the same pack and agree it works well.
    The only detriment being the buckle type closures.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I have to throw another sling pack suggestion out there. Two friends who have seen me use it have bought them. The Simms Headwaters Sling Pack (mine's in camo). Can now be found on sale for $39.95 (it's WELL worth the $69.95 I paid-this is a steal!).
    This thing looks too small, but here is what I carry in it at all times, & it's NOT crowded:

1 Morell saltwater flybox (9 1/2" long for bass & saltwater flies)
    2 large size Flambeau flip open boxes
    container of Mucilin
    4 extra furled leaders (2 thread & 2 fluoro)
    2 tapered knotless mono/fluoro leaders
    3-4 spools of tippet
    5 or 6 Thingamabobber indicators
    Monomaster (for scrap line)
    Scissor/forceps
    nippers
    hook hone
    mini 1st aid kit

The one modification I made was to attach a Gear Keeper zinger http://www.gearkeeper.com/flyfish/index.html with the threaded stud to the cordura nylon attachment to the waist strap on each side of the pack. This prevents my tools from hanging in front of me, yet it's like "drawing a six shooter" in the old west to get your tool of choice.
    The pack, with shoulder & waist strap, is a one handed operation to flip behind me or to bring back, yet it always stays in place, whether behind or in front of me. It is NOT a large pack yet it holds a LOT (as seen above). Because of the shallow profile, I never have to go on a "search" to find something in the bottom as there are a number of pockets. I also love that the 2 separate exterior front pockets are velcro rather than zipper closure which makes them more functional. With the adjustable straps, it's also fine over heavier clothing/jackets.
    I have used nothing else all year. As many on this board can attest, I have had vests, lanyards, chest packs/box, waist pack, fanny pack, but this is the BEST!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I wear the original sling pack from Orvis. The green one and love it. I cast right handed, and I have the strap go over my right shoulder. It is never in the way and stays put. One thing to also remember, is that the sling packs do in fact have a Chest strap if you ever feel the need to have it tightly clung to you. I've used the chest pack walking the flats of the Keys to the back woods of New Hampshire. I absolutely love it. I have also used the the Fishpond Chestpacks as a sling or worn it "creel" style. Also very effective.

I'm a huge fan of the slingbags, I just wish mind had a water bottle holder like the new ones. The one thing I was looking at as an option is the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Lumbar Pack. I'm told you can wear it as a fanny pack, creel style, or even a sling.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

+ Reply to Thread