+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fy reel (4-6 wt line)

Default Fy reel (4-6 wt line)

I am retiring, and will be fishing a lot this coming season. In reviewing my gear, I see a "need" for another fly reel that will handle 4-6 weight lines. I would prefer a disk drag, and I would also prefer the reel to weigh 4 ounces or less. Large or standard arbor is OK.

My question is whether anyone knows of any outstanding deals on reels--either new, demo, or very lightly used. I have looked online and haven't seen any outstanding bargains. Perhaps you have seen something that I missed?

I have champagne tastes, but a beer budget, meaning that I would like to keep the cost to between $100 and $200. Any advice would be welcome.

jgrossing,

I have not researched your request yet, but, I will. My only concern is that there are several qood quality reels out there that are within you cost range, but, do not fit your weight range of less than 4 ounces. There are reels out there that weigh 4oz or less, but, they will not handle the 4-6 weight line range you want.

I am not an expert on this, but, that is my first concern and I am sure there are others out there that can provide you with better input on your request. I will continue my search for you and will provide any info I find that meets your requirements unless someone chimes in and provides the info you request.

After doing a quick search on many reel brands offered, I only found one reel that meets your weight requirement but it is a click pawl and not disc drag and that is the Redington Drift reels. All other reels that have the disc drag weigh more than 4oz. I hope someone knows of a reel that meets your requirements.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 12-10-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Get ahold of Randy at Bigdady rods, he has some great deals going

These don't meet the weight issue.....but check out
    Okuma Helios...used to go on ebay new for less than $100...they seem to realize the value of their product and prices are up.

Also check out Allen Fly Fishing...IMHO probably the best bang for the buck.

Default Look at these!

They are a bit over your 200 limit, but are under the 4oz limit
    http://www.nautilusreels.com/reels/fwx

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

I have dealt with these folks many times, they are first rate IMHO
    http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

some great deals right now.....
    refine results - "clearance reels"
    Last edited by pillcaster; 12-10-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

How about a Lamson Litespeed 1.5 in guide finish with S/A #5 GPX line for $180 shipped to you? Pics if you want.
    Derrick

What you want is the Bass Pro Hobbs Creek HC1 (item #38-421-068-01) which weights 4.1 oz and sells for $40.
    I own a half dozen of these and have caught fish of every variety. I keep them strung with different flies and use them interchangeably and have never -- as in never -- had a problem. I've even dunked some in mud and gunk and with a quick washing they were back to working condition.
    It is a simple fiberglass reel with little to go wrong and is decent in all the ways you want a reel to be reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by PATroutChaser View Post
    How about a Lamson Litespeed 1.5 in guide finish with S/A #5 GPX line for $180 shipped to you? Pics if you want.
    Derrick
    Litespeeds are probably the best reel that meets your criteria albeit on the far range of your price. Love the Lamson velocities and litespeeds: extra smooth drags (same in each model) and have a nice, mild click.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Thanks to everyone who responded. I considered your advice carefully and decided to go with a (new) Lamson Litespeed 1.5 Hard Alox that I found online for $164. (This was a closeout, since Lamson just came out with a Hard Alox 2.) I do like the Lamson drag, and for almost 50% off, could justify spending the money on a higher-end reel.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful advice.

+ Reply to Thread