+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chattahoochee Brown Trout

Default Chattahoochee Brown Trout

During a study of the fish in the Hooch around metro Atlanta the DNR uncovered this fellow. Measured 29", approximately 10 lbs. There was a larger fish caught this year in the same fishery, I believe there is just over 40 miles of water that hold trout in the metro Atlanta area, which now has over 5 million residents. I didn't think this was too shabby for a southern city fish. A member of the North Georgia Trout Online bulletin board posted the photo.

Hooch Brown 2.jpgHooch Brown.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Now that is one beautiful Brown Trout! Hopefully, there will be many more if "catch & release" is practiced by more.
    Thanks for sharing.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

sweet male brown.
    love the coloring.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

From the information I have seen the great majority of flyfishers release what they catch. But with a population of 5 million plus surrounding the river there are numerous bait fishers who keep everything they catch. I don't know anyone who begrudges a fisherman a limit of fish to eat. However, I have heard allegations that there are fishermen who fish the Hooch above Morgan Falls (a lesser known power generating dam on the river in the metro area) to use as bait for stripers below the dam. This is strictly illegal. Rainbow trout are one of the most popular striper baits but there is a requirement to have a receipt showing they were legally purchased.

One factor that would probably leads to a good number of larger fish in the area is the fact they primarily feed at night. Night fishing on the Hooch is not permitted.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    During a study of the fish in the Hooch around metro Atlanta the DNR uncovered this fellow. Measured 29", approximately 10 lbs. There was a larger fish caught this year in the same fishery, I believe there is just over 40 miles of water that hold trout in the metro Atlanta area, which now has over 5 million residents. I didn't think this was too shabby for a southern city fish.
    A friend of mine guides on the Hooch. He has been out with the DNR when they were electro-fishing to check the trout populations. My buddy said it is a humbling experience to see all the big trout they shock up.

Awesome bull Brownie! that dude's been eatin' rainbows too I suspect

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread