+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which fly?

Default which fly?

Imagine...

Less than 5 ninutes from your job is a pond that just got stocked with 10 inch rainbows. By the time you allow for drive time, getting rod ready swallowing a sandwich etc you've got maybe 40 minutes free. What would your set up be? Which fly would you use? What if you're not the best at knots and don't want to waste precious time changing flies?

What say you?
    hNt

PS. What if there's a spot where you can park where there's no trees close by so you can actually fish versus getting hungNtree?
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Fish pellet!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

If all you have with you is a floating line, then I'd go with a long-ish leader (9' or so ) tapered down to around 5X. Tie on a weighted or Bead Head #10 Olive ( clear water ) or Black ( slightly stained water ) Crystal Bugger. Chuck it out there, count it down and start retrieving it back in one to two inch rhythmic - twitching strips. Cover the water until you score consistently.

Works around here, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 12-08-2011 at 02:41 PM.

The fish are pretty aggressive right after they've been stocked, plus they tend to hug the shorelines, which is GREAT for a guy fishing from shore.

I use a No-Knot Fas-Snap on my tippet, so I can quickly change flies. If you choose to tie directly and just want to pick ONE pattern to use...well...here would be my top 5 choices (in no particular order):

-FishnDave's "Something" (the streamer hook with a marabou tail, gold mylar tubing body, and ostrich herl head)
    -#10 or #12 beadhead Woolly Bugger (black tail & hackle, olive chenille body)...use a SMALL bead, or even a glass bead...it doesn't need to sink fast since you will be fishing close to shore.
    -soft hackle nymph under an indicator
    -#8 Blue Thunder streamer
    -#14 flashback Scud under an indicator

(Note...the fish that get stocked here are generally 11"-13", so you might scale down hook size accordingly from my suggestions.)
    Last edited by FishnDave; 12-08-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Green Woolly Bugger, size 12 or 14.

Larry ---sagefisher---

If there are chironomids about, I'd try one or two under an indicator. Otherwise, olive (peacock) bugger or half back nymph. And.......practice, practice, practice those knots.

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Green Woolly Bugger, size 12 or 14.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Agree with Larry. Can't beat a woolly bugger.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Beside mosquitos, what kind of aquatic insects do you see around the pond in the summer? I'm guess dragon flies, maybe mayflies. I would go with nymph pattern for those. Do the locals feed ducks on nice days, a bread fly or a pellet fly might be the ticket.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

#10 olive woolly bugger on a 7 1/2' 3x leader. One fly should last you for days of that situation.

If the olive bugger doesn't work, try a hares ear softhackle or prince nymph. Say a #12 or so...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread