+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Key West

Default Key West

Has anyone fished Key West without a guide? $600. a day is a little too much for me to handle alone.
    I can stay at the Navy base for $55.00 a day.

Blog Entries

My recommendation? Find a senior chief with a boat, and buy him a bottle.

Bob,

Key West is tough to freelance, especially without at least a kayak and good local area knowledge.

There is a great MWR facility up at Marathon Key at the USCG station with bungalows and boats for dirt cheap that you can also use, and that area is much friendlier to the walk-in fly angler. Do yourself a favor and check it out instead.

I've spent some considerable time fishing in and around Key West, and there's definitely land-base opportunities for tarpon, snook, sharks (a blast on the fly rod), cudas, etc. Snappers, grunts, and other assorted bottom fish are plentiful. (They will bite clousers) Heck, there's some good tarpon right off the Navy docks, though I've only been told (by a bunch of different guys) and never have had access to them. Jose' has done a couple shows fishing from them. There's some beaches to fish from, a few piers with snook around the pilings, and bridge access to the water from Key West all the way up the keys. Also, if you have access to any type of craft, Key West Harbor has tarpon 365 days a year. Close in. Right in the channel. They don't bite too well if its cold and windy, but I've had excellent fishing there in December, January, and February during the warmer spells. There's good local info. once you get there. Best overall fishing is at night. Fly fishing from the piers and docks is challenging and sort of odd, but if you can get a kayak or small skiff, you're in business! Get there, watch and look around, and ask questions. Its still a fishing town too. And like flyguy66 said, going up the keys, the opportunities just jump at you from Big Pine, to Marathon, and on up to Islamorada. Its not that far to go in a day. Marathon is 30 miles up the keys.

Blog Entries

I would check at the Navy Hotel, they must have retired servicemen that will offer you a better deal. Think about the total price that you have invested for the vacation and then decide how much more is acceptable for that perfect vacation. Key West is a great place, so make sure you take part in the night life and wonderful restaurants

Have done much fishing in that area. Key West is too tough when much better fishing is available if you go up to Marathon, Islamorada or Duck key. There are jack cravelle, snapper, mackerel and pompano right off of the highway across from the entrance to Hawk's Cay at Duck key. Several pull over spots allow for parking on the Atlantic side but I would fish on the Gulf side. Clousers are the first choice. Use ones with lots of flash. Don't be afraid to spray on some attractant.

We just got back from Key West. It was my first trip there, and I did find fish....everywhere! We found tarpon at all the docks. They're attracted to scraps that fall from the fishing charter boats. It's interesting to note that most tourists miss out on a 8 ft tarpon swimming directly underneath their nose because (1) they are looking outwards towards the beautiful horizon, and (2) they don't fish...Lol.

I snorkeled the beaches too, and whereever there is a coral/reef there are fish. Cudas also lay in wait within a stone throw of the roads, but they blend in so well and lay so still that it takes a few minutes to spot them...again you have to be patient, and very observent. I also found bonefish cruising about the manitee area (Double Tree Hotel side of the Key), spotted them directly from the roadside park.

It's illegal to fish from the Docks, and I'm not sure about the beaches. I was not allowed to bring fishing gear on this family vacation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE5RKJ6Q49U

Someone elses video below;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDmM...eature=related
    Last edited by Silverexpress; 12-06-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    Regards,

Jose

><((((0>

+ Reply to Thread