I've spent some considerable time fishing in and around Key West, and there's definitely land-base opportunities for tarpon, snook, sharks (a blast on the fly rod), cudas, etc. Snappers, grunts, and other assorted bottom fish are plentiful. (They will bite clousers) Heck, there's some good tarpon right off the Navy docks, though I've only been told (by a bunch of different guys) and never have had access to them. Jose' has done a couple shows fishing from them. There's some beaches to fish from, a few piers with snook around the pilings, and bridge access to the water from Key West all the way up the keys. Also, if you have access to any type of craft, Key West Harbor has tarpon 365 days a year. Close in. Right in the channel. They don't bite too well if its cold and windy, but I've had excellent fishing there in December, January, and February during the warmer spells. There's good local info. once you get there. Best overall fishing is at night. Fly fishing from the piers and docks is challenging and sort of odd, but if you can get a kayak or small skiff, you're in business! Get there, watch and look around, and ask questions. Its still a fishing town too. And like flyguy66 said, going up the keys, the opportunities just jump at you from Big Pine, to Marathon, and on up to Islamorada. Its not that far to go in a day. Marathon is 30 miles up the keys.