+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1954 Airstream Flying Cloud Trailer Auction by Orvis

Hybrid View

Default 1954 Airstream Flying Cloud Trailer Auction by Orvis

Its not too late to bid on this trailer: http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_...9&subject=9460
    The auction doesn't end for another week. I just looked and the bidding was over $80,000, and the reserve had not been met.

In case you think that's a lot of money to spend for a restored vintage travel trailer, keep in mind that
    "The forward end of the trailer, with its semi-circular natural leather sofa and ample counter space, is suitable for comfortable dining and small party hosting, as well as quiet time tying flies." And it includes an Orvis bonus gift: Orvis Edition HMH Spartan Vise!

Last edited by John Rhoades; 12-05-2011 at 06:28 AM.

Well, I guess we know where all those high-dollar fly fishing equipment buyers that Hardy says they've lost in this bad economy have gone. They're over at Orvis bidding $80k on a 50 year old travel trailer! LOL

Life would be empty without it's fantasies. I can absolutely see my wife & I in it, at the Idaho Fish-In.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default View before bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
    Well, I guess we know where all those high-dollar fly fishing equipment buyers that Hardy says they've lost in this bad economy have gone. They're over at Orvis bidding $80k on a 50 year old travel trailer! LOL
    There must have been some of those same buyers there last year as well when Orvis auctioned off a restored 1959 Land Rover Series II Model 109.
    What a cool fishing vehicle!

It sold for ONLY $160,900!

You can see it at:
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3Y8E

Why not restore one yourself? Here's a vintage one slightly longer for $74,000 (currently) cheaper.
    http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/2732034720.html

Well, I think that settles it then! Hardy is just missing the boat. They said people aren't willing to buy high-end, big ticket sporting goods items during this bad economy - especially in America, where most of their export business is. That's why they said they laid off 30% of their work force last week. (Blame it on the Americans...LOL) Obviously, Americans are still more than willing to blow ridiculously obscene amounts of money on name brand crap we don't need. In fact, Orvis has been selling the heck out of their high-end fly rods, the Helios line, too. So maybe...just maybe...Hardy's problem lies within the hallowed halls at House of Hardy, Ltd. Maybe they just aren't selling what their target customer wants to buy at a price they're willing to pay. Ah-ha! Yep. That'll trigger a down-turn in your biz every time.

I own an Airstream and have polished it to a very shiny finish. The problem is the mirror finish disappears after about 3 months, due to oxidation and I have to buff it all over again. There is no way to stop the oxidation unless you paint it.
    To get a mirror finish like that on a 22' trailer, I estimate that it took at least 400 to 500 hours with a good polisher like a Makita, and 3 different polishing compounds and
    a lot of wool bonnets and rags. The more you polish it however, the easier it gets to restore the luster.
    Dick

+ Reply to Thread