I'm a Contributing Editor to Florida Fly Fishing Magazine, and an author recently sent me his new book on fly fishing fresh water in central FL to review. I didn't publish a review on it because the book wasn't...well, I didn't write a review. I'll leave it at that. But it's not for lack of subject matter.

The St. John's River flows into the Atlantic at Jacksonville via a long series of fresh water lakes, lagoons, and marshes that runs almost to Orlando. This is some of the best Largemouth Bass fishing water in the world. It is "ground zero" for the Florida strain of LMB (Black Bass). There are literally hundreds of places to cast a fly in fresh water in NE FL. I live 2 hours N of JAX right now. Pan fish get ridiculously big down here! Bluegill, Redear (called Shell Crackers by the locals), and a few species you won't find much anywhere else the size of salad plates are not unusual and are pretty much everywhere there is fresh water.

What most anglers who have never fished fresh water in FL don't realize at all is that Tarpon, Snook, Redfish, and Crevalle Jack will also enter fresh water. You won't find Snook as far N as JAX, but they do have Tarpon and CJ's. Juvenile Tarpon up to 50 lbs. or so spend a lot of time in sweet water, and locals catch them on fly rods from the bank. CJ's can be great fun from a canoe or kayak in inland fresh water canals, as they behave like 5-15 lb. Bluegill. Finally, Redfish can thrive in fresh water and will sometimes show up inland in rivers and marshes.

One note about fishing fresh and brackish water in FL: You have to get used to sharing the water with alligators. First of all, they are very dormant in winter. Secondly, leave them alone and give them their space and you are 99.7% unlikely to have any issues as a fly angler. They like bait fishermen. LOL Just like with snakes (which we also have), keep your eyes open and pay attention and you won't have a problem. Never, ever feed or taunt or try to "get a closer look at" an alligator! They are VERY quick when they choose to be, and take their prey by "playing possum" and then pouncing suddenly on it without warning. But when they're cruising around in the middle of the lake, laying on the opposite bank, etc. they are no threat to you.