Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Several years ago I posted an "are you a fly fisherman ( or whatever as to gender?) or do you merely fly fish?" post herein. Answering my own question I stated that I merely fly fish. A fly fisherman , in MY opinion based on observation of many years, is a bit of a nutcase to whom fly fishing is the alpha and omega of things to do. He has waaayyyy more fly fishing stuff than he needs. His friends are almost all of the same persuasion. He travels MILES to fly fishing shows and spend more than a day there ( I spend about an hour). Ties his own flys. Builds his own rods. Is member of several fly fishing clubs and associations ( I'm a member of TU. Pay my dues but seldom attend meetings). FAOL is the only fly fishing website I take time to visit. I have been to several Fish-Ins and drank my share ( I hear, they're really meant for fishing).

Needless to restate, I, with noted exceptions, don't practice or do any of those things that would make a fly fisherman of me. I enjoy fly fishing VERY much BUT, that's where it ends, I fish (fly) Wyoming once a year and have done that for about 40 years on and off since school at UW, own only ONE Orvis ( gifted- a green one) rod and a TFO 4pc that I won here on FAOL. Vacations, unless Wyoming, never include a flyrod ( or golf clubs. Much for the same logic)
In view of the above, I do not consider myself a fly fisherman.

Mark

I am definitely a Fly Fisher