+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage TXL 0wt. Build

Default Sage TXL 0wt. Build

Having built and sold quite a few ultralight fly rods over the past 2 years, I've owned several TXL rods. Now the 0wt, 1wt., 2wt. and 4wt. I have regretfully let go the 1wt and 4wt months ago so I could keep building and learning about new rods. Upon reflection, my TXL rods were some of my favorites. I stumbled upon this TXL 0wt. blank on clearance for $149, so I snatched up the opportunity to build another one.

Here's what I used:

Seat: Spalted Big Leaf Maple Burl turned to the same dimensions as the cork seat on an Orvis Superfine (with dual sliding rings). I got the dual sliding rings from Jim West at Orvis

Grip: Struble Ultrafine that I modified by turning down in thickness (generally) and tapering the rear to blend into the seat

Thread: YLI Silk Chestnut colored

Guides: Fuji MNSG Smoke Colored w/SiC Insert size 8j. Pac Bay Light Wire TiCh snakes sizes, 2/0 (5), 1/0 (1), 1 (1), 2 (1). Size 3.5 tip top.

I did not use a hook keeper and I did a little epoxy ramp instead of a winding check. This will be my new bluegill rod and will hopefully get a chance to catch some trout in the driftless area next year!

That reel seat is drop dead gorgeous. The rest of the rod is flawless, but that reel seat is a showpiece.

Nicely done.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks Ron. I appreciate the compliments! Someone on another forum was asking about the wraps....so I thought I'd update with some photos of the wraps:

Blog Entries

Verry Nice, simple in looks but exacting in workmanship.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Very nice!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

really nice.
    On the reel seat, did you offset turn, route, or file to get the offset?
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Cheffy: I made the mortise first by taping off the section that I wanted to "flatten". Then I VERY CAREFULLY used a dremel to remove the larger portion of the mortised area. Then I used progressively finer sandpaper (by hand) to make the final adjustments to the shape.

But I did just finish another seat which I will be using on an Orvis Superfine Touch 6'6" 3wt. blank I just picked up. On this seat I did NOT do a mortise and instead chose to decrease the overall diameter of the seat until the rings were able to clear the reel seat feet. I was initially worried about the reel slipping around the seat without a mortise, but I can lock the rings extremely snugly with the wood insert (as opposed to a cork insert) without leaving a mark. So my initial testing suggests that I should not experience any reel slipping without a mortise.

For simplicity, I prefer the non-mortised seat over the mortised.

Thanks, I just looked at one of those Orvis 6'6" 3wt superfine. Nice rod. Where did you get the blank from?
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Just call Jim West at Orvis. Email me at coltrane45@hotmail.com if you want his contact information. Most blanks are about $150 each. I just finished my 6'6" 3wt. I'll get some photos up in the next couple days. I picked up the 8' 4wt. SFT blank as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    Thanks, I just looked at one of those Orvis 6'6" 3wt superfine. Nice rod. Where did you get the blank from?

+ Reply to Thread