I'm more comfortable than I used to be at spinning deer hair. I wouldn't say I'm great at it, but "passable".

So...last night I tied up a couple of Deer Hair Poppers to be used for bass (Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Whites/Wipers). I know these can eventually get waterlogged and not float well, or get coated with fish slime and not float well. Since there is time and effort involved in creating these poppers, I want them to float perfectly forever...until I lose them to a fish, rock or tree (it happens).

So...I thought I'd spray them with silicone waterproofing spray. The first one I thought perhaps I was a bit careless when the tail feathers got coated with silicone.

On the second one, I used marabou for the tail, and wanted to keep it free of silicone so it would sink and move beneath the water. In a flash of brilliance, I put a plastic bag over the marabou, and pinched it tightly with one hand, while spraying the deer hair with the silicone.

Didn't work...somehow the silicone touched the marabou and was instantly wicked throughout all the fibers. UGGGG! Now the marabou is slightly stiff so will have very little action in the water...and it won't sink below the surface of the water either ( I tested it in the bathroom sink).

I'm considering cutting off all the marabou and tying on fresh, but it'll be ugly.
I'm sure it'll still catch fish as-is, but it won't have the action I wanted. On the plus side...I think this deer hair popper is virtually UNSINKABLE.

There IS a better way that has occurred to me in hindsight. In the future, I will tie the deer hair on first, spray the silicone, let it dry, and THEN tie on the tail materials!