+ Reply to Thread

Thread: net replacement bag

Default net replacement bag

Am looking to build a few wooden landing nets this winter and I'm wondering if anyone has experience purchasing netting rather than buying replacement nets. Any thoughts, I've been searching the craft stores for "netting" and "mesh" but haven't had much luck yet. All I can seem to find is stuff for wedding favors that will double as a dish scrubby (this isn't going to cut it for a C&R net). Any thoughts?

Janns Netcraft handles pre made nets and also bulk netting. Be aware that the pre made C&R nets are a bit shallow in my opnion(about 8").

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/bulk-netting/

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/replacement-nets/

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Blog Entries

iso,

The best nets for Catch & Release are the rubber type nets. They remove very little fish slime, which is good and hooks have a hard time getting tangled up in them, which is great. The orignal rubber type (not sure what the material really is) were black and had a large mesh. The latest versions include a clear netting and some have a smaller mesh. If you can find a source for those it would be great for both the fish and the fllyfisher.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by iso View Post
    I've been searching the craft stores for "netting" and "mesh" but haven't had much luck yet.
    I was in Hobby Lobby recently and have found the same thing at Joan's, the only real netting they have is for decoration. The nets are not that bad, knotted nylon with about a 3/4" diameter opening, but it is hard to find and intended for nautical themes, etc.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    iso,

The best nets for Catch & Release are the rubber type nets. They remove very little fish slime, which is good and hooks have a hard time getting tangled up in them, which is great. The orignal rubber type (not sure what the material really is) were black and had a large mesh. The latest versions include a clear netting and some have a smaller mesh. If you can find a source for those it would be great for both the fish and the fllyfisher.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Larry

Are these the ones?

http://www.brodin.com/Accessories.html

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Blog Entries

Brad, yep, those be the ones

Very fish friendly and I love how easy it is to get the fly out of the net, esp when the fly pops out of the mouth of the fish and flips into the net. The older style nets made it really hard to get hooks out, esp when fishing with two flies. The main thing I really like about these is how fish friendly they are, they leave hardly any 'footprint' on the fish when it has been in the net. No harm to the fish.

Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread