+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Branson MO in January?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Post Branson MO in January?

I'm looking at taking a first time fly angler out to fish in Branson, most likely this January. I've never been there and could probably just drive up and start fishing. But I was hoping some regulars might have tips on what to expect, what to prepare for.

I know that it's a heavily stocked lake , Taneycomo, and probably heavily pressured as well. Would that be the case in January at all?

Also, what are some local fly shops that I might shop while there?

thanks in advance!

Fishing can be quite good in Janurary but dress for the cold. Wade fishing just below the dam can be excellent if they are not running water. Cold weather can bring a surge in electric demand and generation. I can't over emphasize enough though-when they sound the horn to start generating-get out or at least get close to the bank. It can rise fast and the current is strong. There are two good flyshops on 165 south just before you get to the dam turnout. Can't recall the names.

Scuds are the primary food source so bring plenty in grey, olive and tan. Fish are often leader shy so I generally use 5x fluro. Woolybuggars can also be effective.

For the best info go to Phil Lilly's site-ozarkanglers.com. Phil runs a resort, Lilly's Landing, and is a real authority on fishing Taneycomo. It's also a nice place to stay right on the water. He also has a flyshop at the resort. Branson is kind of dead that time of year but you can still find other things to do. Some beautiful Ozark scenery in the area. The Landing downtown is a nice shopping area and has some good eating places.

Good Luck.

Dave

Here is a link to Phil Lillys website. Also, check out the forum for a lot of info on Taneycomo.

The two flyshops are Anglers and Archers and Riverrunoutfitters. The latter has a web site that covers Taney fishing. The two shops are close together on the west side of route 165.

http://ozarkanglers.com/

Blog Entries

Dave

thanks very much! I am looking forward to this trip.

Blog Entries

Default More on Taneycomo

The http://ozarkanglers site, quite useful and appreciated! Plenty of data on the area. Guess I had better clean up the waders and get ready!

Hopefully Night Angler1 will chime in here; you could PM him, too.

Blog Entries

thanks Scott. Just PMed him

+ Reply to Thread