+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6wt Line

Hybrid View

Default 6wt Line

Trouble deciding between Rio Grand and Gold WF 6wt. Any users or opinions?

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

The Grand is really a 7WF so your choice would depend upon the rod that you intend to use it on. I have fished both lines and really didn't care for either one of them, I am more of a GPX fan.

For throwing large indicators rigs, I prefer the Grand. For dries and general stuff, the Gold (or the SA GPX) would be fine.

The Grand is realy a 6 and a half, not a seven. I love the Rio Grand on my fastish rod. In the wind, and with big flies it is outstanding. My grand is now nearly 3 seasons old and still floats high and handsome with no cracking or any obvious signs of wear. Have to say it is hard to find a lne that floats consistently, some floaters should realy be called hover or slow intermediates.
    All the best.
    Mike

Default Hum

May go with the Grand in a 5wt given the 1/2 wt heavy properties found with it. Just filling the new Nautilus FWX, will be riding a LOOP Evotec 6wt.

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

Don't be scared off by the half weight heavier issue. Like Mike said, and with all due respect to Steck, it's not a 7, but a 6 1/2 technically. Ironically, the GPX is also a 6 1/2 and another of a handful of lines that have been made slightly heavier to load "modern" rods. I am a very big fan of the Grand and have that line in a number of weights, including on both of my 6 weight outfits. I have tried the GPX in a couple of weights over the years, and have always wound up going back to the Grand. As I understand it, they both have the same grain weight in the first 30 feet, but whether due to the taper or some other issue, I personally prefer the way the Grand loads the rod and casts, and I also find it to float better at the tip. In my opinion, for all but the very slowest of rods, you'd be disappointed dropping down to the Grand in the 5 weight, as you'd be underlining your rod, even with the extra "half" weight. Lines and rod actions are all a matter of personal preference of course, but I like the Grand on more than just "fast" rods. I like how they feel on my supposedly "medium fast" rods as well.

FWIW, I have not tried the Gold, so can't give any first hand commentary, though I have read a variety of issues with that particular line and problems with either tips sinking or the line wearing prematurely. In most cases that I remember, Rio was gracious about replacing them and there was some suggestion that it might have been an issue that has since been corrected by Rio.

Blog Entries

Wayne,

I have been using the Rio Gold at the suggestion of Sage for my medium action ZXL. I also have used it on my medium fast actions where I will be mostly fishing dries or smaller nymphs.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Quote Originally Posted by MTWFF View Post
    Trouble deciding between Rio Grand and Gold WF 6wt. Any users or opinions?

Wayne
    Several years ago when I got my Sage FLI 9' for 7 wt, which is a pretty fast rod, the shop recommended a Rio Grand. It was fine close in, but as soon as I got much line out it really bogged down the rod. Went to a standard weight line, a Rio Selective Trout, and the rod is a bit stiff in close but really works at 30-40' plus with big nymph rigs, which is what I got it for.

Like Steck said, it depends on the rod. If that LOOP Evotec isn't a kind of slow rod, a 5 wt Grand may well not be enough line - taking into account your casting style and what you are going to use the rod for, of course.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default Grand 6wt

Am going with the Grand 6wt & the LOOP is a fast rod. Given that I fish big waters and droppers a lot, and shoot into the wind a fair amount the extra 1/2wt may help a bit in those areas. And in the smaller waters it will work quick loading.

Wayne

+ Reply to Thread