+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do You Really Need Hackle?

Default Do You Really Need Hackle?

Okay, the beauticians and fashion industry is taking a lot of hackle, primarily saddles, off the market. Except for those among you who tye commercially, how many of you really need more dry fly saddle hackle? Don't snap, lol. I'm just asking.

Allan

It's a good question Allan. For me, I mostly use CDC on the few dry flies I fish. I will occasionally use hackle, and I do have some saddles that I'll hold onto.

I have enough dry fly hackle to last several lifetimes. I usually use capes instead of saddles, but those rare times I need them, I have saddles in the colors and sizes I use most. Hungarian Partridge, Starling, Plover and other game birds, however is another story.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

The only thing I use hackle for any more is woolly buggers, so, for the most part, I don't need hackle. I still have lots of it, although I keep thinking I should find a beauty salon and sell it to them and use the $ to buy some more toys.

Foam floats better than hackles anyway. As long as hen hackle does not go through the roof, I am happy! I only use dry flys for bobbers anyways.

I have a 1/4 saddle of grizzly and two half necks. Don't think I'll ever use that but I am not parting with them. I only tie a few dry flies a year as most of our fishing is sub-surface. I use more foam/terrestrials than real dry flies.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I have plenty of dry fly hackle, enough to last the rest of my life. I, too, use CDC and a lot of snowshoe hare for my dries.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Allan,

Just for you I did something this morning that I've never even thought of doing before. I cracked open my cape chests and started counting. Between, hen and rooster saddles and necks, from dry fly to streamer, steelhead and saltwater, there are 110 in the chest.
    Do I really need hackle ? No, we're fly fishers and fly fishers adapt to what ever situation arises, that's the nature of the sport - right ?. On the other hand, its sure nice to know it's there if I want to use hackle.

I'm just glad I'm not in the beginning portion of the acquisition phase of tying, facing the current price structure.

Maybe we ought to consider starting a Hackle Bank. You know, create a centralized common repository of donated hackle for desperate tyers in dire need of a specific feather. Locate it in the heartland, near an overnight carriers hub so that in a crisis, no feather is ever more than twenty-four hours and a phone call away.

+ Reply to Thread