+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sink Paste

Default Sink Paste

Yet another weird question from me. I saw some paste by the float paste in Cabellas, and was wondering how this would work on my furled thread leaders. I don't do much nymphing but like to do so on occasion. Has anyone tried this or heard of it?

I think the sinkpaste would ruin the leader for dryfly fishing. For nymphing I use one made with fluorocarbon. Depending on how deep you are fishing just adding a tippet of fluoro would let you get down faster.

Diddo what Jack says.

Thanks for the advice on this I appreciate it. I will definately try this out now. Would you say this makes the leader strong just by using flurocarbon for the tip?

Really doesn't have to do with strength. I agree with Jack but missed the fact that he was also referring to just a fluoro tippet. Personally I would use both a fluoro furled leader and a fluoro tippet. Thread leader and fluoro tippet will not get you down very far...sometimes ...[emergers] that is good.

I agree with ducksterman on the fluorocarbon furled leader to get down deep. However you will have a tough time fishing dry flys with one. If you are useing a loop to loop connection it's not that bad to change out.

Looking at a chart with the densities for the two materials and the polyester it is 1.38 and 1.78 for fluocarbon. How much of a differance is there in the two as far as sinking? With a weighted fly would the line sink deep enough?

I am no Rocket Scientist, but I can tell you from experience that an untreated polyester leader will ride just below the surface film. The floro leader, especially those made from Vanish Transition florocarbon, will sink like a stone. They sink so well that they will pull the first 2-3 feet of your floating fly line down also.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Thanks Brad! I have yet to try it yet and wanted to get the experience of those who have. I do like the feel of the thread better, but if I need to switch for nymphing it is a very quick exchange. Any other advice or experience would be amazing!

+ Reply to Thread