+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold Weather

Default Cold Weather

This is a weird question I am sure, but as winter quickly approachs I wonder how thread leaders do in this cold weather. Do they freeze up more easily? Furling naturally creates gaps in the leader which I am wondering if this makes it freeze easier. If so is there something that I can put on my leader to help keep this from happening? Winter presents a very good opportunity to catch some BIG fish here. I look forward to hearing everyones response and learning from them.

Lightbulb It probably depends ...

... to some extent on the thread you are using. I use 210 Danville Flymaster Plus for my thread leaders. It is a synthetic that does not absorb water. Perhaps other threads do absorb water and would perform differently when used in furled leaders.

I've fished in below freezing temps a good number of times with the Danville leaders, both fishing dry flies and nymphing. As most around here know, I prefer my furled leaders to submerge, and that is true regardless of weather conditions. I can't recall one of my leaders ever freezing, even partially, while it is being fished.

First, most of the water picked up by the leader, said water being quite a bit above the freezing point, will be cast off on the first back cast, or at least on the following false cast.

Second, the leaders are so supple that the casting action will keep them largely free of ice even if there were some minor freezing going on. As soon as the leader is back in the water ( submerged ) any minor accumulation of ice on the leader would melt off in the above freezing temps of the water.

I have had had leaders get a bit stiff while moving from point to point. The leader still shakes out supple and is ready to go as soon as you shake out some line.

John

P.S. One BB member mentioned when this subject came up a couple years ago that she had an issue with thread furled leaders sticking to ice formation around the water during really cold weather. I believe she changed to furled mono leaders for those conditions. I haven't had that kind of problem with the thread leaders I use.

P.S.1 Are you aware of the Saturday morning fly tying demonstrations at Jimmy's All Season Angler in Idaho Falls, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. ?? I surely do miss those sessions. Consistently the best fly tyers in the region and always a bunch of great guys and gals attending. If you go, give my regards to Jimmy.
    The fish are always right.

I've never had any freezing problems with the thread leaders. As John said, the moisture casts off immediately. Also, when thread is used, I've never been faced with gaps in the leader. They furl up very smooth.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I use Gutterman Skala thread the equivalint of Danvilles 70 denier and 140 denier. Because it is not waxed I do wax it on my own. John I do believe you mentioned to me to try bow string wax, and although I haven't had time to use them yet, but I do like the feel of them. I am going to Boise for work in a few weeks, and plan on giving them a try while I am there. Thanks to both of you for your experience in this. I wasn't quite sure how it would react, but feel much better now. Love this forum here!

+ Reply to Thread