+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHAT A FLY ROD REALLY IS (fiction) - Readers cast (Neil M. Travis) - Nov 21, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default WHAT A FLY ROD REALLY IS (fiction) - Readers cast (Neil M. Travis) - Nov 21, 2011

WHAT A FLY ROD REALLY IS (fiction)

I received a phone call from a relative of an old man that had recently passed away and wondered if I could come over and give him some idea of the worth of some fly fishing items. I'm not an expert on such things but I told him that I would be willing to take a look and give him some idea about the value of the various items. I made arrangements to meet with him and he gave me directions to the residence where the old man had resided before his death.

Neil,

I think that's the best thing you've ever published on FAOL. It's wisdom is "sufic," containing layer after layer like an onion - each as meaningful as the one before. Materialism, family, gratitude, appreciation of that which is lost, the value of symbols/talismans, "the tools don't make the carpenter - the carpenter makes the tools," and generational transference are all themes we see keenly displayed in this short story. Well done!

Neil,

Very well written piece. Read it yesterday, took til this morning to digest it all. This is one that deserves to be read and re-read. You have a gift.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Neil,

A really beautiful story.

Thanks,
    Bad Luck Larry

Red face Thanks for sharing!!

Great story Neil. It makes me appreciate gifts that remind me of long gone friends.

Okieflier

+ Reply to Thread