+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OASIS - Ladyfisher - Nov 21, 2011

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default OASIS - Ladyfisher - Nov 21, 2011

OASIS

Since I recently wrote about survival in the Sonoran Desert, it's only fair and fitting to title this one Oasis. We spent most of the day today, Thursday the 17th of November, in mild 70 degree weather at the Reid Park Zoo in metropolitan Tucson.

Dee,

Wonderful article. Is that where Neil got the pic of the Nicobar Pigon? I had to look them up on Google. Beautiful birds.

I once hunted for Jaguar in the Darien Province of Panama. My weapon of choice was a recurve bow and arrows which had to be shipped down sort of secretly as they don't like weapons of war being imported. My guides were Darien Indians and my bow was very popular with them. Much more powerful and accurate than their self bows.

My guuides took me to an overwatch spot that covered a beautiful jungle pool and we waited. In late afternoon, with the tropical sun dappling the ground through the trees, a large black phase Jaguar came to drink. He showed no fear as this was his jungle and he was it's lord and master. I nocked the arrow, came to full draw and just couldn't release it. I eased the bow down, put the arrow back in the quiver and watched the cat calmly lap water. Every once in a while the sunlight would hit his rosettes just right and they seemed to glow like they weren't part of his fur. When I didn't take the shot my guuides just looked at me and smiled. I think they were secretly hoping I would miss if I shot.

After the Jaguar left, we went back to their village and celebrated the cat long into the night. When the canoe came to pick me up I gave my bow and arrows to the oldest man in the village so he could lend it to a younger hunter when the need arose. That made me a real popular guy.

Animals, like fish, always look better alive than dead. At least to me. Some of them can be downright tasty though.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

REE,

Yes, the Nicobar Pigeon was at the Reid Park Zoo. The black jaugar is a beautiful cat and they had two of them.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Neil

Same to you and Dee, Neil.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread