I came back from my 3rd tour in May of this year. It depends on the size of operating base he is on, really. Most of the "normal" amenities enjoyed in the states is available on the larger bases. Homemade cookies were always welcomed as there is never a substitute for homemade goodies (especially from Mom ). If he is out on smaller forward operating bases as I was all bets are off. Items needed will range from personal hygiene items needed (soap, toothpaste, razors, toothbrushes, shaving cream, lip balm, etc) to any type of food (ramen, slim jims, jerky, sunflour seeds, canned goods, microwaveable stuff like mac n cheese). For entertainment, I believe the posts above got it right. My parents sent me all the hometown newspapers, which was nice since I am from a really small town in North Dakota and it was cool to keep up. Any other items that would remind the service member of home that he/she cannot get there is always a good choice as well (I know that is broad, but each person is different) along with cards for special occasions and actual (not digital) photos of life back home. Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, let me know.