+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how do you pack your gear?

Hybrid View

Question how do you pack your gear?

When going on a fishing trip, how do you pack your gear? On an extended trip? or a day trip? I'll go first.

On an extended trip I take a huge duffel bag my wife gave me and fill it full of waders, wading boots, vest, wading staff, reel cases and rod tubes. When I get where I'm going, I just grab the duffel and head to the nearest stream. Of course what ever it is that I'm wanting first is always on bottom and its not a real good way to travel and I wish I had something better but it gets me where I'm going with all of my stuff.

On a day trip I use an old canvas creel. It holds my fly box and one of the pockets on it is perfect for my camera. I just sling it around my neck and I'm off. The rod and reel don't have a bag to be put in, so I wind up with them lying in the front seat of my truck. Again, its not a good way and I wish I had something better, but it works for me.

So, what do you do?

hNt

PS I think I'd like to use a backpack. One that holds the rod tube. I don't really hike to any of the streams I fish, except from the truck to the water, but I think that would keep all mu stuff better organized.
    Last edited by hungNtree; 11-17-2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added postscript
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

I never UNpack from the daily trips. On longer trips, I will put the extra fishing gear in a bin, the extra clothes in a bin, and the extra camping gear in another. Works like a charm.

I do about what DG does. I keep a plastic bag with a change of clothes, a first aid kit, matches, etc, in the rig at all times. Also there is an inexpensive fly rod under the seat. My tackle box consists of a cardboard box that contains a couple of inexpensive reels and plastic bags with terminal tackle (leaders, flies, etc). When I get ready to go I usually throw in a better rod and maybe a better reel. If I plan of keeping a few fish to eat I take a wicker creel along.

On my last trip I wanted to keep a bunch of whitefish so I obttained one of those cheap backbacks likre the kids take to school. I think I payed 2 bucks for it at a yard sale. I stuck the fish in the backback and then transfered them to the cooler when I got back to the truck. It was cold enough the fish were OK. Worked like a champ.

Hope this helps.

Tim

The Sims "Taco" holds my boots, waders and vest as well as giving you something to stand on when changing into or out of the waders. It breathes well to let things stay fresh and dry out. I have an extra gear bag with spare waders, fly boxes, flashlights, headlamps, first aid kit, wader repair kit, etc. (Don't forget spare batteries) This stuff is always stored in the car with a couple of rods.
    On our recent 30 day trip I packed clothes in 2 1/2 gal, 1 gal. and 1qt Zip lock Bags. That way I did not mess up the whole suitcase digging out a change of clothes. In fact I did not even take a suitcase just 2 32 qt. storage containers. One for warm clothes and one for everyday stuff. Need a change of skivies and socks? Just grab a bag and head for the shower with fresh jeans and a shirt!

I have a large plastic foot locker my son bought me at the PX. It holds everything except boots (and wet waders on the return). I throw this in the back of the truck, one box and I'm ready to go.

On an extended trip, all my camp stuff, fishing stuff, cooking stuff and food goes in the back of the van. Unless I'm taking my jon boat, then some of it goes there.
    On a short trip, everything goes in the back of the van.

Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread