+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you pack your gear?

Just to add to my first post what isn't in the back of the truck when I get there, I buy.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I have a few options, for the waders they just stay in the boat and get wiped down if needed at home, tackle box is nothing more then a cheap storage container from wall-mart, I have 3 or 4 nice backpacks that I do convert too when hiking to remote streams. I clean my reels, rod and lines about once a month. The best setup I ever had was my VW Westfalia, I miss the old girl, I kept 90% of my gear in her all year long including my pontoon. If anyone has a Camper van and thinks they don't use it enough and decides to sell it? DON'T!

I always have 4 'containers' when I go fishing.
    1. Medium pack with appropriate clothes for the weather PLUS a complete change in case of a plunge (I have been known to lend them to other plungers).
    2. Small tub with waders and boots - dry on the way there, wet on the way home.
    3. Med/small square shoulder bag containing equipment appropriate for the fish/water - chest pack, reels, flies, first aid & emerg., spare leaders, shot, cigars, etc.
    4. The preferred rod plus a back-up rod in tubes.
    On longer trips the same stuff for fishing, just the extra stuff needed for a longer trip, like camping/cooking gear, 'town' clothes, spare clothes, etc.
    I like the zip-lock idea for daily changes of undies - used similar to segregate daily menu on canoe trips, never thought of it for long trips – good organization! If (car) campin/tenting most of the clothes go in a tub too, to keep them fresh. The tub also makes a good night-stand in the tent.

Everything I use is kept in my Jeep , I can set up house at anytime. I also have a back pack in there if I have to hike a ways and can stay over night, it has a small tent with it and a bed roll...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Lightbulb A Camelbak Rim Runner ...

... handles everything I need for fishing for a one day outing or a multiple day excursion.

This hydration model holds a first aid kit, a bag with most of the "ten essentials", TP and cleaning towels, bear spray, a bag with an assortment of furled leaders, tippet material and Tenkara lines, an aquarium net for seining, a couple reels ( if not carried in rod / reel cases ), separate fly boxes for small dries, large dries, small nymphs, large nymphs and streamers, plus a Fishpond Chest Pack with room left over for a rain jacket and fleece cap inside, plus it has mesh waterbottle holders and cord to hold a jacket on the outside.

It's always loaded and handy. Just pick out the appropriate rod / reel combinations and I'm good to go.

John

P.S. Did I mention room for a sunglasses case and snacks ?? Wallet, keys, and other small incidentals, like the camera ??

P.S.1 These Camelbak packs are bulletproof. I put close to a thousand days of fishing and hiking outings on my first one. It's still useable, but it is a bit drab from fading and the stitching for the zipper on the main compartment needs some repair. The new one ( in the pic ) does lend to better organization of the contents.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... handles everything I need for fishing for a one day outing or a multiple day excursion.

This hydration model holds a first aid kit, a bag with most of the "ten essentials", TP and cleaning towels, bear spray, a bag with an assortment of furled leaders, tippet material and Tenkara lines, an aquarium net for seining, a couple reels ( if not carried in rod / reel cases ), separate fly boxes for small dries, large dries, small nymphs, large nymphs and streamers, plus a Fishpond Chest Pack with room left over for a rain jacket and fleece cap inside, plus it has mesh waterbottle holders and cord to hold a jacket on the outside.

It's always loaded and handy. Just pick out the appropriate rod / reel combinations and I'm good to go.

John

P.S. Did I mention room for a sunglasses case and snacks ?? Wallet, keys, and other small incidentals, like the camera ??

P.S.1 These Camelbak packs are bulletproof. I put close to a thousand days of fishing and hiking outings on my first one. It's still useable, but it is a bit drab from fading and the stitching for the zipper on the main compartment needs some repair. The new one ( in the pic ) does lend to better organization of the contents.
    I have one also, I got a Dakine insulated one from REI last year that I switch to in the winter.

I'm with fishin' chewy, need a tour bus 'cause you just never know.

All purpose gear box.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    I'm with fishin' chewy, need a tour bus 'cause you just never know.

All purpose gear box.

Glad to see I am not the only honest one on here. I fish as many species as I can per trip. Last month I did a couple days chasing Musky and a couple days chasing trout.OOOHHH the mess of stuff that went!

Lightbulb Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post

John

I meant to confine my comments to using the pack for fishing gear. I haven't used it for an overnight camping trip.

In addition to what is described, I could add a water filter, some dehydrated camp chow, a minimalist tarp, and some fleece pants and make do in decent weather. I'd have to wear the chest pack instead of carrying it inside the Camelbak and use the outer pockets and attachments and the hydration pouch more efficiently, but it would probably work out just fine.

John

P.S. If I were going to do an overnighter, it would probably be somewhere where I would only use Tenkara gear, which would free up a lot of space by eliminating reels, the number of fly boxes, etc.
    The fish are always right.

A bag. A vehicle. I go. Pretty much all there is.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread