+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis' Battenkill Disc

Hybrid View

Default Orvis' Battenkill Disc

While perusing the new Orvis website today, I noticed that in the reel selection page, the Battenkill Disc isn't offered. I did find it under a different link on the Orvis site, but the only one available any more is the 5/6 weight. No other reels and no spools were available. It looks like Orvis is discontinuing the Battenkill Disc. Anyone heard anything to that effect? I hope it isn't true. That's a dandy reel. I have two of them and they've performed flawlessly.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

Lotech Joe,

You are most likely talking about the original Battenkill Disc Drive reels, and yes, they have been phasing them out the past few years. I also have some of these reels in the 7/8 and 10/11 sizes that I used for saltwater fishing. Great reels and they held up to salmon with no problems.

But, Orvis has been going more into the Large Arbor and Mid Arbor reels and I must admit, I really do like those. I have converted all of my reels to those, mainly the Large Arbor reels. They are of excellent quality and when you need to wind in the line they get it in fast. Or if you want to stay with a standard size reel then there there is the Battenkill Bar Stock reels or the CFO Reels.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Wow , what a shame. The original Battenkill is a classic and one of my favorite reels. I will hate to seem them go. I have them in 5/6 as well as 3/4 and they have always performed great.

Quote Originally Posted by texfly View Post
    Wow , what a shame. The original Battenkill is a classic and one of my favorite reels. I will hate to seem them go. I have them in 5/6 as well as 3/4 and they have always performed great.
    I have a click pawl version, with a few spools. Not going to part with them.

Chuck

I love my Battenkill, but to be honest, I've become a fan of large arbor reels, as they help reduce line coils and tangles.

However, I'm sure they'll always be a market for used Battenkills and spools.

Randy

+ Reply to Thread