+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Flies for Crappie and Bluegills?

Hybrid View

Default Cold Weather Flies for Crappie and Bluegills?

Hi All,

I am hoping to get to go fishing this Saturday, which will be the first time since late June or early July. A friend said that it may be too late in the year to do any good, but I would still like to go.

Do you know any good choices for flies for this late in the season?

He also thought that they might be deep. I fish from the bank, so don't know how that will go.

I have some of Rick's midges that I want to try toward evening, or during the day if there is a midge hatch underway. It will be the first chance I have had to try them.

I also am planning to tie some weighted small streamers such as Clousers, buggers, or maybe even weighted boa leaches also.

Any advise will be much appreciated.

I have had two remodeling projects this summer, and have had several other obligations such that I almost did not get a chance to fish this summer, but am hoping for better next summer. My part of the remodeling should hopefully be finished this Friday!!!!!

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Well...you're in Texas, so the water temperature right now certainly isn't as cold there as here. Skim ice has been forming on some local ponds overnight.
    My experience with late- and early-season fishing is...you want to fish sort of deep (3'-5', for example), and you want to fish SLOW.
    One great way to accomplish this is with a microjig under an indicator. Try a variety of colors until you find one that appeals to the fish.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I don't know if this will work in Texas but this is what is working on northern Indiana lakes. Weighted flies size 10 and 12 fished on 14' - 16' of level 2# fluorocarbon leader (or all you can cast) fished in 6' - 15' of water while the boat is anchored in 20' - 25' of water. Fishing the deep side weedy breaks on the north or east side of the lakes so the sun can warm the water a bit. Our water is in the mid to high thirties now but after this week we are probably looking at mid to low thirties. Fish slow with short strips.. Be watchful for fish taking the fly while it is falling. These will be very light bites. This works until ice-up when you can no longer use a boat.

Good luck,

fishbum

soft hackles. They can be fished very slowly and have the subtle but constant motion that drives cool water panfish nuts.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

If anyone wants to try something a bit unorthodox, I have an idea I've been kicking around for quite a while about a fly. Just gotta find the time to tie a few...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

My go-to fly for crappie and bream in cold weather is the Carter's Sculpin. I'ved caught fish here in Georgia in mid-winter with snow on the ground. Fairly easy to tie and very durable. Here's a link to the pattern. http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns6.asp?page=12

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Well...you're in Texas, so the water temperature right now certainly isn't as cold there as here.
    Dave, I think you have made a classic mistake of people who are no very familiar with the Lone Star State. I have never been to Borger, but have a friend who is a native, it is just east of Amarillo. The last time I remember being in Amarillo was the week before Christmas. The temperature was 72 deg. as I drove up from Lubbock, 36 hours later as I was leaving the wind chill was minus 40 degrees. It was snowing and the snowflake arriving parallel to the ground. It's the place people are talking about when they say "If you don't like the weather, wait a little bit it will change."
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I usually opt for chironomids. Red and White bead heads...

Bluegill w/Chironomid by El Frito, on Flickr

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

As far as bluegills and crappie are concerned, just think small and slow. Chromatids are great for 'gills, as are midges and small grubs/worms. Crappie are a littler more active in winter than 'gils, so small clousers and streamers work fine. Just be prepared for very light hits.

Smallmouth bass stay active all winter in the south. Just size down a bit and search a little deeper water with structure. Same for largemouths.

Winter is primetime for White Bass and Striped Bass (freshwater). The cooler water holds more oxygen, making the shad more active, making the stripes more active. They will be roaming in large schools searching for groups of shad to decimate. This can be some of the best fishing of the year. Jump-Fishing is especially good in winter. Just look for flocks of wheeling diving birds. If you look under them, you will see the water boiling as the Stripers and Sand Bass viciously cut to ribbons large groups of bait fish. Just get within casting range, match the minnows as close as you can, cast into the melee, and hang on. When they go down, just wait a few minutes, and they will come back up nearby. If you lose contact, just look for another school. My favorite patterns for this are Puglisi-style shad patterns, Polar Minnows in shad colors, and larger Clousers. Best colors are grey/white, all white, all grey, and chartreuse.

Winter is the best time for trout here in the south as well. My best pattern on the Hiwassee, Jacks, Ocoee and Conasauga Rivers are red and white Clousers in small sizes.

Blue gill tend to like something either falling or moving while crappie tend to like some thing stationary and suspended or slightly moving. Crappie for some reason are hard for me because I like to to fish with a fly moving. I did manage 3 crappie over the weekend but I will admit I do not have the "crappie mindset".
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread