+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod tube question

Default Rod tube question

I am curious how many have bought a fly rod (except TFO) and told the dealer that you didn't want the tube or just left it behind because you didn't need it?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Never have.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

I need to befriend the guy who doesn't want his rod tubes......

never either

Can't understand why anybody would do that. I don't take them to the stream in the tubes, as I have a small travel case that holds multiple rods and reels and makes for a convenient means to transport whatever rods and reels I anticipate using on any given day. Even with that, there are many more that stay behind, and I keep them in the original tubes when they're not in the rotation.

Usually the tube is selling point (i.e., "what kind of a tube does this come with?"), but once in a while someone will come along and tell me they don't need the tube at all. I can generally talk them in to taking it anyway just in case.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

I used to work in a shop within a larger sporting goods store, and we had several extra tubes each time we did inventory. The only thing we could think of was that people would come in and take a rod off the rack and buy it, without asking if it came with a tube. We ended up putting the extra tubes in the bargain bin and selling them. I notice that some shops now have a "comes with tube and sock" label on the rods.

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    Can't understand why anybody would do that. I don't take them to the stream in the tubes, as I have a small travel case that holds multiple rods and reels and makes for a convenient means to transport whatever rods and reels I anticipate using on any given day. Even with that, there are many more that stay behind, and I keep them in the original tubes when they're not in the rotation.
    John, whose travel case are you using?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If it doesn't come with a tube (TFO) then I will buy one.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    John, whose travel case are you using?
    Dave-

It's the black one at the top of the page here: http://clearcreek.net/Fly-Fishing-Ro...-and-Tubes.php

I almost never take less than two rods and two reels on any given trip, owing to an experience I had in my earliest days fly fishing. On the first trip I'd taken to a quality fishery, a long drive from home, the nearly new reel that I brought with me locked up tight when I was stripping line out on one of my first casts. No amount of spool removal/reinstallation or drag loosening and tightening made any difference and the guy at the local fly shop was stumped too. Since I'd only brought one rod and this one reel, I'd have been in a world of hurt if it were not for the charity of a local guide who let me borrow an extra outfit of his. Ever since then, I make a point of having a spare rod and reel for even a day trip, just in case something happens to the rod or reel I'm planning on using. If it's a multi-day trip or one where I could run into a variety of conditions calling for different weight rods, I may take as many as three or four outfits, and this case allows me to take them all without hassling with a bunch of different tubes and reel cases. The four pockets on the sides can each hold two reels and/or spools and I like the fact that it's relatively small and unassuming in just a plain black color.

+ Reply to Thread