+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Four Graphite Rods That Changed The Fly Fishing Word

Hybrid View

Default Four Graphite Rods That Changed The Fly Fishing Word

Hype is what it is. Hype. I can tell you as a professional is this business, that Acuvue contacts are all hype and advertising. Hydroclear is pure bull dung.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thanks for the link. I love my Sage 696 RPL; unfortunately it's a 2pc so I only use it on local trips - does a great job casting a Teeny T250 for shad. Once we move out west it'll be back in the truck full-time.

Regards,
    Scott

I've owned the Sage 590 RPL and replaced it with the GLoomis GLX so I agree with those two choices.

I would add the Fenwick HMG that started the graphite rod revolution. In my view, the difference between the HMG and fiberglass fly rods was huge, greater than the dfference between the rods in the article and the fly rods they competed with. The only rod that came close to as much a perforance leap was the GLX compared to the fly rods of its time.

I still use my GLX for Montana Fishing.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Interesting blurb & thoughts - here are a couple of mine.
    While I get where the author is coming from, if it hadn't been for the RP, there wouldn't have been a RPL. The IMX is the rod responsible for putting Loomis into more retail racks and if they hadn't gotten all of those new dealers on board....?. Winnie's IM6 was and is very nice, but for my money, Loomis' IM6 was a more practical all around fishing tool.

Best, Dave

I agree that hyperbole is at least as pervasive in fly rod marketing as it is in most other products these days. Even though I was impressed with the rod when I actually got to cast it, the terminology used in the marketing for the new Sage One is so over the top that it's hard not to laugh out loud when reading it. That being said, I think it's arguable that there have been rods that "moved the market", meaning they achieved something new and better than what had been the norm, so much so that other manufacturers sought to do the same from that point forward. Which rods those were can be debated endlessly I'm sure, but I do believe there are some that can claim such impact. I'm no expert by any means, but it seems to me that the GLX series for example drew great attention to and set a new standard for lightness when it came out, prompting others to try to match and promote the same attributes in their subsequent offerings. I'm biased on this one to be sure, but I've always thought the Winston BIIX did the same kind of thing. After a lot of years in which the industry was all about faster and faster actions, at the expense of line feel and close-in casting in my observation, that rod was the first one that offered a credibly fast (and oh yeah, ridiculously light) rod that had fantastic line feel and an unprecedented casting range. Every manufacturer sought to follow suit with rods that described that same combination of attributes - whether it was the Sage Z-Axis, Orvis Helios, or even more recent creations like the TFO BVK, the marketing was no longer JUST about "fast". Interesting concept to be sure and one that could provoke a lot of fun water cooler conversation...

Yeah buddy!
    I've got a Sage 690-2 RPL that will never leave my rod arsenal. The latest-n-greatest aint 1/2 the rod the RPL is.
    Mark 1:17

Three out of four ain't bad.
    Never owned a Sage but had four of the classic GLX's. I sold three and kept one only to bust it in the Outer Banks a few years back. I sold the GLX's to get a few Winston BIIx's and never looked back. What I still wonder at how long it took manufacturers to catch up the the old GLX's. Graphite scrim ain't all that new if you look back at those old GLX's.
    My daughter called dibs on my IM-6 TMF when I kick the bucket and the 6' 10", 3 weight 'G' I have is probably going with me to the great beyond. What a rod... art in workmanship and art in performance.
    Last edited by Jackster; 11-19-2011 at 09:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread