+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Show by Example?

Default Show by Example?

Check out my blog entry:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2011/1...-converts.html

Then suggest ways (other than by example, which I've been doing for 5 years) that might encourage avid anglers to try fly-fishing.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

horse/water
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Im not sure what the answer is either. Ive been a fly fisherman since I was 13 years old (47 now) and have ALWAYS brought it with me. Nowadays its all I use and the spinning rod sits in the basement. From an early age I was told by a fly angler that he could outfish anyone with a fly rod and to this day ive tried to carry on that tradition. Not competitive by nature I have gone out with some of my bait casting buddys and just have had punishing days on the water. Its no exaggeration to say there were 7-1 fish days and yet not a hint of picking up the sport. Even after fish after fish days ive offered to let them try it and have been told they wouldnt be caught dead holding a fly rod. Im not sure if it looks intimidating and hard to do or the fact it can be expensive but there is something about fly fishing that doesn't appeal to a lot of people

I would do what I frequently do, invite them to share the river or lake from one of my spare float tubes. No one pushed me to try fly fishing, I bought a fly rod because it looked like fun until I broke it. Then I fished with spinning and casting rods for about 25 years before I started back with a fly rod.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I fly fish exclusively and 99% of my trips are targeting LM bass, SM bass, and some stripers. Most of my fishing buds either do both or are strictly spin/bait casters. To be honest, on most trips they will double my numbers. However, there have been quite a few trips where a deer hair popper was the hot ticket and I was literaly catching them right out from under thier boats (yaks and solo canoes). Several of the guys have started doing more fly fishing, bought thier first fly rods, and even some are learning to tie bass bugs which is a very hard thing to learn (at least for me).

How many of them will stay at it long enough to get good? No telling. I believe someone has to really want to fly fish and if so, you can't stop them. Those that try it just because everyone else is, they will give it up eventually. There are a ton of fly rods and waders in closets that were bought right after "The Movie" that haven't seen water in 10 years.

BTW, I fished only for trout for years and I find that consistantly catching bass on the fly is tough. Hardest thing I ever tried outside of gettinig rich and understanding women! (neither of which I am any good at)

Quote Originally Posted by GT171 View Post
    ... Not competitive by nature I have gone out with some of my bait casting buddys and just have had punishing days on the water. Its no exaggeration to say there were 7-1 fish days ...
    I'm always amazed to hear stories like this. (And I'm not doubting you at all.) Although I really enjoy fly fishing and have done it for at least 30 years, I catch FAR more fish on spinning gear. I've encouraged a lot of people to pick up the fly rod, but they view fly fishing as "a more difficult way to catch fewer fish" (as John Merwin described it.) Until that opinion is disproved, fly anglers will be in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    Check out my blog entry:
    http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2011/1...-converts.html

Then suggest ways (other than by example, which I've been doing for 5 years) that might encourage avid anglers to try fly-fishing.
    In one of my favorite books, The Sunfishes by Jack Ellis, he says that he has basically given up trying to "bring fly fishing to the masses". He just thought that fly anglers were a different breed. You either "got it" or you didn't.

That's just one opinion, though. Good luck in your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyscout View Post
    Hardest thing I ever tried outside of gettinig rich and understanding women! (neither of which I am any good at)
    You are trying too hard, getting rich is possible; understanding women on the other hand is not. Try understand a women, I would recommend your wife, assuming you have one. I am still working on that after knowing her for 47 years and almost 45 years of marriage.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread