I fly fish exclusively and 99% of my trips are targeting LM bass, SM bass, and some stripers. Most of my fishing buds either do both or are strictly spin/bait casters. To be honest, on most trips they will double my numbers. However, there have been quite a few trips where a deer hair popper was the hot ticket and I was literaly catching them right out from under thier boats (yaks and solo canoes). Several of the guys have started doing more fly fishing, bought thier first fly rods, and even some are learning to tie bass bugs which is a very hard thing to learn (at least for me).

How many of them will stay at it long enough to get good? No telling. I believe someone has to really want to fly fish and if so, you can't stop them. Those that try it just because everyone else is, they will give it up eventually. There are a ton of fly rods and waders in closets that were bought right after "The Movie" that haven't seen water in 10 years.

BTW, I fished only for trout for years and I find that consistantly catching bass on the fly is tough. Hardest thing I ever tried outside of gettinig rich and understanding women! (neither of which I am any good at)