+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone adjust Tippet size to fly size OR based on water conditions?

Blog Entries

Default Anyone adjust Tippet size to fly size OR based on water conditions?

I must admit that I generally choose my tippet size based on:
    1. Water type; i.e., is it gin clear and smooth water - then a finer tippet.

2. Average fish size; i.e., if the fish are generally below 14 inches - then the lighter leader

I do this instead of relying primarily on the size of the fly. Obviously, when you go to EXTREMES ( big streamer or tiny #20 dry), there must be adjustments. But, I generally choose tippet size based on water type and the expected size of fish in the particular water.

I do pretty much as you do, but may be a little more restrictive of my tippet sizes base on the size of the fly. I generally will not use smaller than 4x on a size 10 or larger fly, 5x on 14 or larger. I find that I get too many tangles when I use a light tippet on larger flies. I also will not go larger than 2x on a size 10 or 3x on a size 14 since I think too large a tippet will affect the action of the flies. I guess that only gives me about 2-3x leeway, depending on water conditions.
    Ted

tippet to fly size

I do tippet to fly size AND water conditions. If the water is calm and clear, I go to 6-8x for sure.....if the fish aren't hitting on anything larger. We usually use 6x anyway, so...
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I just use 5X for almost all of my trout fishing. I'll go heavier for streamers or large dry flies like hoppers. I might go lighter if I really need to for tricos or other very small dry flies, but usually a longer 5X tippet does the trick.
    Last edited by johnstoeckel; 11-14-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Mostly tippet to fly size. I won't go with lighter tippet if the fish are going to be smaller, since there might always be a big fish around. I pretty much have standard tippet sizes for situations, and seldom change them. I fished 3x tippet with #10 caddis in the Lochsa this fall, with water clarity in the 10-20 foot range, which is as clear as anything I ever fish, and they didn't care. In short, I will use the heaviest tippet I can get away with, so that I can land fish quickly and get them back in.

I agree with DG, I use the heaviest tippet the fish let me get away with.

Another vote for using the heaviest tippet you can get away with.(As long as I can break it with the rod, of course)Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I've been fishing Flourocarbon for almost all of my trout fishing looped to a furled leader for the past few years now. And probably 80% of my fishing is with 6x. I'll drop to 7x for Trico's and midging....and up to 5x for nymphs and small streamers. Heavy streamers I will go to 4x.

Fly size. When I fish flies smaller than #20 to very selective fish in clear water, I may drop one leader size.

+ Reply to Thread