+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how far will a stocker travel upstream

hNt-

Your thread prompted me to look for the maps associated with that study again. You may find them interesting...

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/troutstudymapsa.pdf

That is a very interesting map John. thanks.

I've got a little more time now to explain what and why I was asking this question. There is a creek near here that is stocked on a fairly regular basis. About 2 to 3 miles upstream there is a huge spring that feeds this creek. The creek is healthy and clean creek, but I know the water will be alot colder closer to the spring. Thus I'd assume that at least in the summer time the trout would be more likely to travel the 2 to 3 miles up stream for the cooler water?? And it just so happens that there is 2 large farms, one on each side of the creek near the Spring. Actually one of the farms is named Big Spring Farm. And it just so happens that I got permission to "help myself" from both farmers. I got permission from the last one this past week. Of course, only I would have the kind of luck to get the final permission in November when the water will be even colder and the trout are all a2 to 3 miles down stream from where they are stocked, but there is always next summer.

thanks for the info,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

"greenies" seemed to move a good bit.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

This isn't trout, but its related to arbitrary or opportunistic fish migration. I can't find a link to it, but I recently read a newspaper article about a Musky that had been tagged in West Okoboji or Spirit Lake (NW IOWA). It left the lake during some high-water events, traveled downstream through another lake system or two, passed a few dams, made its way downstream to the Missouri River, then upstream a good distance into South Dakota, where it was caught by the SD DNR in some sturgeon nets. It had traveled something like 350 miles!

Similarly, the Iowa DNR had netted/tagged/released some walleyes in Big Creek Lake in the early Spring. Within a couple of months, tagged fish were caught below Saylorville Reservoir (the fish had to go over one high/large dam, and through another), and also upstream at the next dam, which was about 35 miles away.

Fish species around here that are NOTORIOUS for passing dams around here include Walleyes, Muskies, and Wipers.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

That Spring would be a safe bet! Look up a study with one of the researchers being
    Wesche at the Univ of Wyoming on how the species of trout migrate in the N Platte and level out according to elevation and flow. Incldued tagged Cutts, Bows, Brookies and Browns. One of the Browns went nuts and made it all the way up into the headwaters in Colorado's North Park but he was the exception for his species.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

One trout with a transmitter implanted went 24 miles down the White River, up the Norfork River and back to the starting point.
    This was a survey done at Mountain Home Ar. One of the transmitters was found under a Heron's nest, and one was found in the desk drawer of a local resort. they didn't call to report the find when the fish was caught and cleaned by a customer.

+ Reply to Thread