+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Albright XX Fly Rod

Default Albright XX Fly Rod

XX fly rod cast long and hard if you use the correct line on them. I do not believe they get a fair shake in reviews against other rods where the test line is limited to the same one or two brands.
    Last edited by pescamexicana; 03-19-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Will write a new review later

f I remember right the XX rods were developed specifically for sinking lines. I think this is why the grain weight window is where it is for the particular rod you were using and the label line weight is where it is. I have never quite understood why sinking lines are usually given in grain weights but floaters rarely are. I don't quite understand why it seems to be the norm to put a heavier sinking line on a rod and it is okay but if you put the same weight floater on the rod it is over lined and you are considered a poor caster that needs professional instruction. The same people will then say how a sinking line is a better casting line than a floater, well yeah, it is heavier so it loads the rod better besides it having less air resistance.

This is a topic I usual get crap about but I am a proponent about trying multiple line weights on a given rod and ignoring what the label states. I am glad to see that there was a range of line weights that actually are posted on the rod you mention. I feel all rods should be labeled with a large window of grain weights that will work well with the given rod. Instead of making gear user friendly the emphasis goes into giving people a rash of excuses about needing casting lessons from a certified instructor and indicating that if you can't double haul then you cannot cast and use these rods.

Around here we will do mini clinics every Tuesday night. Guys will come because they are struggling and they want some help. I have set a lot of people up with a setup that works. They bring their rod and I have a fist full of lines, all of different weights and tapers. We try all the lines on the rod and I won't tell them which one they are casting until they tell me which one they like. Very rarely if ever it is one that is on the label of their gear. I have seen it time and time again how someone who thinks they can't cast because it is difficult for them to do with their, sometimes pretty damn expensive, setup. We set them up with a heavier grain line and they are casting good quality fishing distances in a matter of minutes.

Sorry if i rained on your post Mister Mexicana. I am glad you were able to get your setup to work well for you and I sincerely hope you catch hundreds of 100+ pound tarpon with it.
    Your hooks sharp????

No rain at all Micropteris and yes, my hooks are always sharp. I actually like the 25# Tarpon the best...the big ones wear me out. I use the same rods for bluewater dorado and they run about the same weight. They are really a rip on a fly rod. By the way, I was talking with Cam Sigler yesterday and he has his bluewater 9 & 10 weight rods on sale for $80.00. As of this post, you cannt buy them for that price on their website...call Cam directly. I own several of his rods and like all of them and so, you guessed it, I bought another one. I also use the Rio WF10F Tropical Outbound Short line on my 10wt Cam Sigler rods and they cast long and hard. They haul in 40 to 50# Dorado on a regular basis. Not bad for a 10wt. Hasta pronto, Tom

+ Reply to Thread