+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer Trout weight rods

Hybrid View

Default Longer Trout weight rods

I have been noticing a trend lately with folks who fish rivers and tailwaters for trout using 10' rods in trout weights (mainly 4,5,6wt's). Most folks fishing graphite fly rods still seem to stick to the "standard" 9' 5wt for river trout fishing. Myself, having started with an 8'6" 5wt while fishing larger freestone streams and smaller rivers, I still find myself gravitating to this length rod. I have a 586-4 Sage Z-axis that I just can't seem to put down lately. That coming from a guy who typically likes medium action graphite, and faster fiberglass rods.

I have owned and fished quite a few 9' 5wt rods and never felt like I really gained much except the slight advantage of mending. Everytime I have handled and cast anthing longer than 9', I can't seem to get over the "tippyness" feeling. Just can't imagine casting one all day: even with the advances in rod design which have allowed for lighter postal scale weights. I am curious to see what advantages folks who fish the longer trout rods feel they have. I am not seeking a longer rod to fish. Perhaps I am just curious to find out if I am in the minority perfering to fish an eight and a half footer?

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blog Entries

I have owned a couple 9'6" rods in my day, and feel that, for me, the extra length's advantage in mending and such does not make up for the extra mass I have to move around. I prefer rods in the 8-9 foot range.

The longer rods are advantageous for mending and getting the line higher if fishing from float tubes, etc. That being said, I fish from neither and prefer the 8.5' and 9' also.

I have several 9 foot fly rods, and a few 8 1/2 foot fly rods. I've built most of my rods, and 8 1/2 footers were either factory rods I ended up with or blanks that I got really good deals on.Frankly, I can't tell any difference in the way either casts, given the same line weight and action.. The extra six inches doesn't present any difference in casting feel for me, so I tend to use the rod based on what line or technique it's rigged for.When I buy blanks now I buy 9 footers. May as well get the benefit of the little bit of extra reach.Good Luck!Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have an 8' 6" 4wt, a 9' 6wt, and a 10' 9wt. On the other hand I have 12' and 13' 6" Tenkara rods I use in the same streams I use the 8' 6" or the 10'. I've been considering a small 2wt in the 6' or 7' range for really brushy streams. The rod I choose (length) depends on the size of the stream, species, and condition of the banks. I'm not sure I choose one over the other solely on length.

I think the longer rods in trout weight lines are primarily for European type nymphing techniques. Longer rod, less line, but more leader on the water.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

When fishing nymphs on our larger western rivers I use 11 foot 6 weight rods (Sage XP and Z-Axis). The main reason for this is that casting with a nymphing outfit is not pretty nor easy (two flies, split shot, strike indicator). So, the 11 foot rods allow for one easy cast to get my line back up river to where I want it and the reach cast and mend you can get is fantastic. The 11 foot rod also acts as a great shock absorber so when you get a large trout on the line it is easier and quicker to get them in because the rod is absorbing their fight so you don't have to let out hardly any line fearing you will break off the fish when it tries to make a run.

For dry fly fishing on those rivers I use 9 foot rods, both a 5 weight Sage VPS Light and a 6 weight Sage ZXL, both are a medium action rod and allow for great accuracy when casting a dry fly even in a strong wind.

When it comes to fishing pocket water in small streams I break, whoops, wrong word , bring out my Steve Pennington 4 weight 7 foot bamboo rod, a fantastic rod for small streams and over hanging brush.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I love to use my longer rods, (I have an 11ft switch and a 10ft #7 and a 9'6 #7) I find in the wind the extra line speed they generate can be a huge advantage and as I do a fair bit of long range nymphing the easier mending is also good.
    On the down side they do take a little more effort to cast.
    All the best.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    I('m)....... a guy who typically likes medium action graphite, and faster fiberglass rods.

Everytime I have handled and cast anthing longer than 9', I can't seem to get over the "tippyness" feeling. Just can't imagine casting one all day: even with the advances in rod design which have allowed for lighter postal scale weights.
    Can you define what you mean by "tippyness". I can think of several meanings and I am unsure what you are refering to. I think you mean they fell tip heavy but that is just a guess.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Can you define what you mean by "tippyness". I can think of several meanings and I am unsure what you are refering to. I think you mean they fell tip heavy but that is just a guess.
    Silver,

Yes "tip heaviness" in a static sense, is a more obvious deduction. I was referring more to the 'feel' as line is unloading on the foward cast where the tip portion of the rod feels as though it is driving the line, rather than the smoother feel of a progression of energy transferred along the whole blank from handle to tip. Does that make more sense? A sort-of over-the-top feeling that seems to create a feeling of exaggerated follow-through, and often excessive tip bounce or delayed tip recovery.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread