I have been noticing a trend lately with folks who fish rivers and tailwaters for trout using 10' rods in trout weights (mainly 4,5,6wt's). Most folks fishing graphite fly rods still seem to stick to the "standard" 9' 5wt for river trout fishing. Myself, having started with an 8'6" 5wt while fishing larger freestone streams and smaller rivers, I still find myself gravitating to this length rod. I have a 586-4 Sage Z-axis that I just can't seem to put down lately. That coming from a guy who typically likes medium action graphite, and faster fiberglass rods.

I have owned and fished quite a few 9' 5wt rods and never felt like I really gained much except the slight advantage of mending. Everytime I have handled and cast anthing longer than 9', I can't seem to get over the "tippyness" feeling. Just can't imagine casting one all day: even with the advances in rod design which have allowed for lighter postal scale weights. I am curious to see what advantages folks who fish the longer trout rods feel they have. I am not seeking a longer rod to fish. Perhaps I am just curious to find out if I am in the minority perfering to fish an eight and a half footer?

aa