+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Float Tube

Default Float Tube

I've been thinking about picking up a float tube or belly boat to use this summer.

I have a canoe but the float would allow me better access to some of the walk in Lakes nearby.

Anything in particular I should avoid or look for?

any info is greatly appreciated...

[This message has been edited by overdubbed (edited 04 February 2005).]

JC,
    I'm not following that....the heavier deniers cost more?????

The urethane bladder type is easy to inflate by hand or mouth, this is the "light" type mentioned. On the other hand, the cheaper ones using the truck tire innertube require an electic pump or a gas station pump to fill. The former is much better suited to going to areas off the beaten path.
    Secondarily, the "U boat" type, i.e. one with a bladder in a U shape is easier to handle. Its also a lot safer to get in and out off. If you fall over at the edge of the lake whilst launching in your chartreuse and pink fruit loop (circle type), you could concievably drown, unable to right yourself or hooked up in some way.
    I urge anyone fishing from a tube to carry (in an easy to get to position) a serrated-edge, one-hand-opening pocket knife. These knives are designed to cut nylon straps. A life saver. Trust me on this one, been there, done that.
    Also, when purchasing your tube and fins, ensure you buy straps that will secure the fins to your ankle. This will decrease the chance of loosing a fin and going in circles all day. By the way, if you are in a circle type tube, you won't be able to tighten (and they will loosen up) or reattach your fins, so this is another reason to spend the extra 20 bucks on a U boat.
    Tubing is a blast. Enjoy
    Frank "The Oracle of the Coracle" Reid

I have a Caddis u-tube I bought at Cabela's for $50. It weighs 6 lb. Tubes with an open end are easier to get into than the round tubes. Some tubes lift you higher - easier to cast and warmer, but more wind drift.

I fished from a friend's round one a few years ago, and he said the u-shape is the way to go.

I can see where it would be an advantage .

can you inflate these with a foot pump? If so, how long does it take?

thanks...

overdubbed,
    I use a Togiak that I bought at Wally World. $139 if memory serves me. I like it alot. Can hardly wait to get it out and use it this Spring. It is a u-boat with a v-bow. I scale in at around 250 and it floats me well.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

overdubbed,
    I fish from a Wood River Stealthrider SE that is a "V" tube, light & very packable. I second the advice to "tether" your fins to the ankles...learned by experience...even if you buy floating fins. I invested in a 2 way pump..it pumps air in (OR out) on the up AND downstroke. It is really fast & efficient, & if I'm correct, you can pick them up for around $20.00. You'll love tubing...get a U or V tube.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I third the advice on fin tethering. Also, U-tube is the only way to go. Finally, a translation of an old Dutch saying surely applys here:
    That which is cheap to buy becomes expensive in the long run. Spend a bit more and get a good U-tube.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

I have a Stearns U tube that I like. I like my Coleman's two man inflatable raft better. With the raft, there are no fins and waders to carry. Overall it weighs a lot less than the tube. The raft is very cheap from Wally world etc. Obviously, the "fishing" is different from one to the other, but the raft is a consideration. Unless you are a tuba player, forget inflating either by mouth.

I have two round tubes and enjoy them very much. And yes they both have the rubber innertubes. I feel much safer in a rubber inner tube than a vinyl bladder as I've had two vinyl bladders leak on me from the seams and have never had a problem with a rubber innertube. Points made above though are true, very hard to reach you fins to tighten or loosen once in the water and I sure wouldn't want to flip over in one. Now with that said, I will be purchasing a couple of U shaped boats this year. For many of the reasons you've read above but mostly for entry and exit reasons. The shores at most of the lakes here are very soft with muddy bottoms (marsh like) and it is nearly impossible to enter or exit these lakes from any where other than a boat launch or a beach due to this soft bottom. This is not as much of a problem with an open front boat (still not fun but can at least it can be done). I've tested more than enough U shaped boats and decided on buying the Caddis Navigators. It's the most stable and easily controlable U shape I've tried with the least winddrift. The weight capsity is 350lbs wich gives it that little extra needed for your accesories and added equipment. I also enjoyed the Super Fat Cat but the Navigator won me over. I hope this helps a bit.

------------------
    "Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish" ~ Mark Twain

Cheers,
    Doc

<A HREF="http://mikemonteith.tripod.com" TARGET=_blank>
    Fly Fishing Edmonton & Float Tube Adventures</A>

[This message has been edited by drteith (edited 04 February 2005).]
    "What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly angler calls a great hatch."

Fly Fishing Edmonton & Stillwater Adventures

+ Reply to Thread