+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Level taper (flat) lines?

Default Question about Level taper (flat) lines?

Does anybody still use them? If so what situation would you use them for? What are your likes/dislikes compared to DT or WF lines of today?

I started fly fishing with one many moons ago but very shortly thereafter gave up on fly fishing. I actually got to cast real silk one time. Casting silk is an experience all fly fishers should have at least once in their lives. When I started back into the sport again we had all of these fancy new lines and tapers. As I recall level lines were much harder to cast for distance but could make a very delicate presentation. I was considering trying to find one for my 7wt glass rod.

Blog Entries

Nope, don't use them. They would be OK for trolling out on a lake, but then any fly line would be good for that. I suppose they had / have? a purpose but I will stick with double tapers for my dries and weight forwards for my nymphing and streamers. Just my personal preferance.

Larry ---sagefisher---

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.php

I just switched from a wf GPX to a trout DT on my 7.5" 3wt (medium action graphite), mainly because I felt the GPX overlined the rod. I havent had a chance to fish it yet since it is my brookie rod and the brookies are spawning, but I have lawn cast it. I could tell some difference, but Im not usually tring to throw that rig very far. I have also heard the DT is easier to mend, I hope to try it this spring....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

You know, I think I misunderstood the post, sorry; I thought you wanted to compare WF and DT. As Emily Litella would say "nevermind"
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Does anybody still use them? If so what situation would you use them for? What are your likes/dislikes compared to DT or WF lines of today?
    Before density compensated sinking lines, level taper sinking lines were used. They sank level since the tip had the same density and mass as the rest of the line. Old tapered sinking lines would form a belly with the less dense tip sinking more slowly.

And no one cared if the sinking lines had a gentle presentation.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Level line is used by many that build there own lines for use with 2 handed rods. Now known as Skagit lines. When first learning about building so called "Skagit lines" I asked the guy teaching me about putting taper in the lines. His answer was you don't need taper in these lines because that 15 feet of sinktip you have on the end will turn everything over just fine.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Sort of.. I use a level line with a shooting head on my two-handed rod.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

For the typical Alaskan "Belgian Cast" as some call it the taper makes no difference. The cheapest line is every bit the equal of the best. Aside from that... No...

There was a big discussion on this some time back. Try this:

http://www.hatofmichigan.org/uploads..._Casting_2.pdf

I have since talked to Bruce Richards about this subject. My rash judgement in this regarding front tapers was with regard to floating lines. Bruce clued me into the fact that there are numerous specialty tapers now on the market which can help a great deal in specific situations. But in general, most tapers for dry fly lines are rvery similar for their normal flylines. Talk to Bruce - he is the expert.

Bob

Thanks for all of the input folks. Of the three I have cast I prefer DT lines. What got my interest up was I saw a combo offered by a major manufacturer that stated it came with a "level" line taper. That sent me down memory lane and I wondered if perhaps there had been some new breakthrough in technology that had led to a better level line. I guess a cigar is just a cigar eh?

+ Reply to Thread