+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vise advice please

Default Vise advice please

Yeah, I know a vise is a personal thing but thought I'd solicit some ideas on what to get. I tie mainly from a size 6-20. Might venture to slightly larger and slightly smaller on occasion. Usually a size 6 wooley bugger then mostly size 16-20 everything else. My one and only vise has been a starter Bass Pro crappy vise. It's served it's purpose while I learned.
    Wanting something relatively inexpensive but not cheap junk. Want something easy to use and probably rotary. A light would be nice. I tie mainly at home and at the office but will take it on trips so it needs to be "portable".
    I know, I know. Opinions will vary and many times this is like asking "what car should I buy". But, thanks in advance.
    Links if you have them would help too.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I am a huge fan of anvil vices and the griffin 3arp all 3 of these are very High quality and are priced very reasonable.

Griffith is my suggestion.

I've been using a Griffin Montana Mongoose for the last few years and I really like it a lot. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

BBW,

I've been tying on a Snowbee-Waldron vise for the past few years and it's a wonderful vise, the last I'll ever need to buy. It comes in a nice travel case and breaks down and sets up quickly, so it's a pleasure to travel with. It is a bit spendy though. Here's a review of the vise. http://www.sexyloops.com/tackle/snowbeewaldron.shtml . I use a Daylight lamp with a magnifier as a light source. For travel I bought the table clamp so I don't have to lug the heavy base around. This one. http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=SL001

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Nice vise Ree, but "a little" spendy? I would recommend a Renzetti too, but a bit spendy. I will say look for a Vise you can buy accessories for, like different Jaws, wing post arm, etc. All vise can be used with a clamp or a base sold separately and aftermarket to save pennies.

Blog Entries

Past few years I have been using the Nor-Vise and really like it but before that I mainly tied on a Griffin Patriot vise. Griffin has a nice line of vises and any of them would be an excellent choice for your needs.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I've had a Renzetti Traveller for 15 years and love it. Use it for everything from 22 zebra midges to 4/0 EP Baitfish.

Regards,
    Scott

Since you are looking for a good vise at a fair price, checkout the DanVise. Al (BT's Fly Shop) sells them on his website here: http://btsflyfishing.com/
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

if you can do with out the rotary a regal is the way to go, put the hook in and tie no fuss no changes of jaws no messing around.

Just my 2 cents

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread