It rolled in the same place each time.

Where>.....?
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I think Silver's technique is very good, only I am thinking a PSC to show is something it may not have seen a few hundred times previously.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I wouldn't cast toward that big red arrow I'd get hung up on it. Seriously, I'd cast up stream with some sort of nymph and try to get it as deep as possible. And to be perfectly honest, I'd cast to the right of the angler toward those (not sure if they're roots or tree limbs sticking up from a sunken tree???) So no doubt I'd have scared that big brown off and never knew he was there.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    I wouldn't cast toward that big red arrow I'd get hung up on it.

Spinner asked where the fish rolled not where I would cast.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner1 View Post

next question

It rolled in the same place each time.

Where>.....?

The arrow shows where I think the fish is, not where I would cast.

As for the cast, I explained what I would do previously. That is to cast down and across, throw a slack line mend to the right so that the fly sinks. When I think the fly is several feet upstream of the fish, throw a mend down and across toward the opposite bank (left) so the fly swims away from the bank above the fish. If you follow the fly line toward the bank in the photo, it points to about where I would throw the mend to the left.

Its similar to what you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Seriously, I'd cast up stream with some sort of nymph and try to get it as deep as possible. And to be perfectly honest, I'd cast to the right of the angler toward those (not sure if they're roots or tree limbs sticking up from a sunken tree???) So no doubt I'd have scared that big brown off and never knew he was there.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Nearly Impossible Scenario

The board in the middle bottom.

There is a giant brown laying under it.

I had no filter for my camera and the snow and sun wouldn't allow me to photograph it.

You will just have to take my word for it.

How would you fish this near impossible scenario???

And if you got it on....HOW would you land it?

Photo is taken upstream.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Tie a forty pound test leader directly to a stout stick and dap the fly. flip the fish onto the bank immediately on the strike. O.K. I probably wouldn't do it but I see no other way to get the fish with a fly.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

I would try working my way up to a spot behind the log that is just downstream and to the left then sidearming a cast upstream to the log that cuts across the stream. I would use a rod stiff enough and long enough to horse the fish around a bit. The leader would have to be strong as well. A furled leader with a heavy tippet might help to turn over the fly with an abbreviated cast. I don't know what you fish eat with snow on the ground. A dark parachute tied with over-sized hackle might well work down here, resembling a big spider on the water, even in the winter. If that doesn't work, I might go the woolly bugger or hornberg or Alexandra route. Or even an unweighted PSC, if I have an unweighted PSCs... <mentally rumaging through fly boxes> If you get a hit, a strip strike and fast rod action followed by stripping in the fish quickly would be required, I think. Using a duPont spinner is cheating...

Ed

I think the best chance is at night with a very stout leader and an eight weight system. Fish a large fly floating fly like moth or a mouse with a mono weed guard so it can be pulled over objects. Getting a cast close to the spot is also a problem. Hence at night, the fish will be more willing to come to the fly.
    Regards,

Silver

Method 1. Sneak up real slow and lie down on the log. Slowly ease your hand into the water and grab the fish by the tail.
    Method 2. Light an M-80 and softly drop it into the water just inshore of the fish.
    Method 3. Find a local kid with a stout cane pole, black line, and a worm and give him $10 to carch you that fish.

What the HE double toothpicks are you doing fishing in that God forsaken place!

Bob

+ Reply to Thread