+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Would You Fish This?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default How Would You Fish This?

What would you use in brown trout water in late spring in this hole?

Any tricks to recommend?
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Blog Entries

Dry and a dropper starting just out from where the bottom falls away and working closer to the far bank with each cast. Let each drift work all of the way down before lifting it for the next cast. I'd look to keep the rod tip down and mend as gently as I could. I would try to be ready for, but not really expect a strike before my cast reached the foam. Probably try one cast before the foam. All of this presupposes that the angler ni front of me isn't actually there. If he was, I'd wait or move on.

Ed

P.S. In the interest of honesty, I would probably hang both flies in the brush on the opposite shore then put down the pool for half a day clomping over to retrieve them. Those who have seen me cast can confirm...
    Last edited by EdD; 11-09-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Oooh, that looks GOOD!
    Late Spring, eh? A big black and/or yellow streamer.

Tricks? Heh heh, yeah...tell the guy in front of you that there's a HUGE Brown in a secret little pool about 2 miles downstream!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I'd use a Jax Roughy size 16. Fished with anticipation and joy with a bit of excitement thrown in for fun. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

I would start above the hole. I'd put on a wooly bugger, size and the color of the sculpin in the stream. I would cast down and across toward the bank but above the entry of the hole. Then I would mend so as to create slack so the fly will sink. Depending on the casting angle downstream and the current I was casting across, I would throw a slack line mend into the drift. If there is a slip of fast water that you are casting across, the mend would need an upstream component to prevent the faster current from dragging the fly toward the surface and across away from the bank toward the angler

When I judge the fly to be just at entry (lip) of the pool, I would throw a mend to the left (across toward the middle of the stream) to make the fly swim broadside away from the bank. This will present a broadside view of prey that is escaping away from a fish holding the lip.

I then repeat the procedure as I move downstream. This presents a broadside view of a escaping prey and because you work downstream from the opposite side of the stream, any downstream silt that is kicked up tends to stay on your side of the stream. Plus the fly is always presented from above the fish, so the fish is not spooked by a fly that lands right on top of it. This can happen when you don't know the location of the fish and you are fishing a streamer from above.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Dry terrestrial bounced off the grassy bank and allowed to plop down into the water. Beetle or ant since you stated it would be late spring. I would try to stand down stream slightly of a good lie and be careful not to cast shadows. Would use a longer greased leader (at minimum 10') with about 4' of un-greased 5 or 6X tippet.

Did ya get him?

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blog Entries

rolled him twice
    big swell..
    didn't see it.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

+ Reply to Thread