+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bighead Carp on Fly Gear!!

Hybrid View

Default Bighead Carp on Fly Gear!!

Not by me...but at least ONE guy has done it! Check out his blog, and the pictures. His biggest one was 46"!!! I am VERY IMPRESSED!!!!

http://highplainsflyfisher.blogspot....g-on-dark.html
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave
    If you go to the "Freestate Fly Fishers" web site, in the photo section we have some pics from where Jeff was fishing in the blog. I think the pics are in the New Years day tag, and there is a couple fish of that nature posted. in our club we have a bunch of carp crazy fishermen. A club member has even had one of his fly creation published in the "Fly tyer" magazine. They are a good bunch of people.

That's great! I'll have to check that out.Jeff and I haven't met, but sort of follow each other's blogs. But I hadn't seen that post until today...I just can't get over how COOL that is that he was able to fair hook some Bighead Carp...especially in the cold waters of February!Thankfully, I'd still have to drive 90 minutes south to find Bighead and Silver Carp...but folks figure its just a matter of time before they make it up the river to Des Moines. Right now they seem to be stopped at the Lake Red Rock dam.I'm NOT glad they are here, but since they are, might as well try to catch 'em!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

46" in a bunch of carp. I have landed a couple of 7.5 lb. grass carp (as they are typically known down here), one on my 3 wt. We had fun for several minutes. Back over 25 years ago a guy bass fishing in No. MS land a 58 lb. grass carp, there was no record keeping for them at the time, as I remember. He caught it on a plastic worm.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Grass carp on a 3wt would be a HOOT!

Grass Carp, Bighead Carp, and Silver Carp must all be related...they have very similar-shaped mouths.

They are probably all from Asia, but typically here "Asian Carp" refers to both the Bighead Carp and the Silver Carp (Silvers are the ones that jump out of the water when a boat motor goes by).

Although the Grassies are primarily vegetarian (but will take nymphs and such), Bigheads and Silvers supposedly eat mainly plankton.

Ok...after typing the above, I found THIS study by the USGS regarding Asian Carps (Bigheads, Silvers, Grass, and Black). I thought it was pretty interesting:
    http://www.ifishillinois.org/asianca...pm/Chapman.pdf
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I did not realize there were so many different carp out there. The grass carp were referred to as "white amur", which I have just learned in correct. They are also illegal in over half the USA.

I stumbled up on the attached photo from the internet. It didn't say where but it did say it was over 70 lbs. I'm guessing it was up north somewhere, we don't see many Lund boats down here (of course, it could have been a midwestern who moved to Florida.)
    grass carp.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread