+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calf Tail Supply and Processing

Question Calf Tail Supply and Processing

I got into a conversation with a fellow fly fisherman and fly tier on where calf tail comes from (I'm referring to the commercial calf tail that is specifically for fly tying purposes). Where do the pieces of calf tail come from? Stillborn calves, regular calves that go the the slaughter house, etc....? When he asked I wasn't sure where this staple fly tying material comes from really. Can anybody shed some light on where calf tail comes from for fly tying purposes? Where do the fly tying material companies get their calf tail? etc.
    Hans Krarup Swenson
    Valdivia, Chile.

Very interesting question. I can only tell you that I once(maybe 20 years ago) went to a tannery that killed calves and I recall buying maybe 1/2 dozen tails. Thought I found the Mother-Lode, but when I washed them I saw that the hair was terrible. Based on that one experience I have no answer. I don't think it is as simple as the question may imply. I'll be interested in reading what someone who knows will write.

Allan

I guess the north end of a south bound calf wouldn't be what you're wondering? Sorry.

I formerly had a packing plant as a customer, I used to tour the plant twice a year. I can assure you there is very little waste to any animal processed there. If there is a market for the tail it was saved and processed by Indiana Hide, in this case who had a small first step processing plant outside the packing plant. The smell in that facility was the worse I have ever experienced.

Having a minute to think this over I wonder if the tying tails come from veal processing facilities? Those animals are raised in very controlled environments.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Here's a clue.

Veal
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread