+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a Secret Santa this year?

Default Will there be a Secret Santa this year?

I really enjoyed the "Secret Santa" that we had last year and was wondering if there will be one this year?
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren

I was wondering the same thing. Do you remember who ram rodded the last one? I would be willing to see that it gets done this year. I am not looking to step on anyone's toes, I just don't want to see a fun activity die for lack of leadership.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

That was a lot of fun and interesting.

I believe ol' blue ran the swap?
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I think it WAS ol' blue. And I think Charlaine helped him with it.
    If there is another one this year, count me in.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

Me too! Me too!

Larry ---sagefisher---

Not me this year. Count me out.

To all that are intrested, I have posted a sign up thread for the secret santa on the main page of the BB. If anyone has any questions, they can contact be by PM.

Thanks for looking!!

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Warren I would rather donate stuff your kids at the ranch. Please let me know what is needed in the way of fly tying materials. I may have a cape and a saddle that they can use.

Nighthawk,

I fully understand your feelings on this and the "boys" would appreciate your offer and I can use your material to instruct them with different patterns. Please try and understand my feelings. I thought long and hard before asking for help from the members here on FAOL with donations, but, finally broke down and made the request. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed with the out-pouring of support from members here and do not know how I will ever be able to thank all who donated. Their support has made it possible for Arrowhead Ranch to have a fly tying and fishing program which I never thought would be possible and I could not financially provide on my own. As far as equipment and material that is still needed, I feel they have all the fly rods and fly reels that are needed for the 17 boys living there now and the ranch can purchase more as it is needed "down the road". Now when it comes to fly tying material and equipment, if you are a fly tyer, you never have enough! I feel that there will be enough vises since a lot of the boys are active in school sports and I do not feel there will ever be a tying class when all 17 boys will be attending at one time. The following are needs as I see them now and keep in mind that most of the fly fishing by the boys will be in the Duck River that borders the property and this river is only a cold water fishery during the winter/spring months and then it becomes a great warm water river, so, most of the fly patterns that I try to teach them would be more on the warm water species which will also work on the cold water trout when they are in the system:

Hen Neck or Back for tying soft hackles - Capes and Saddles - Chenille in black, brown, olive, white - Rabbit or Squirrel Dubbing in brown, olive, black - 6/0 or 8/0 tying thread in black, brown, olive - Foam & rubber leg materal in yellow, black, tan for surface flies like foam spiders & gurgle pops - Marabou in black, brown, olive, white - hooks in sizes 6, 8, 10 & 12 for buggers, streamers, wet flies, nymphs

It would be nice if I could come up with at least 6 complete set of hand tools with scissors, Matrelli whipfinisher, thread bobbins, bodkin, dubbing loop spinners, the material clips to be used as hackle pliers - We have some of all hand tools and it would just be nice if they did not have to share while tying.

You and a few others have asked what is need and the above are just things I see that are needed and I am working on providing them myself as I can. The one and only local fly shop, Tim's Flies & Lies in Lynchburg, has agreed to provide material at cost and since I tie some of their flies as needed and just have them run a store tab for me, rather than accept any payment for my services, I plan to use some of my store credit to purchase items for the boys.

Thank you, Nighthawk, for your thoughts and feelings and I will pray that the Creator addresses your health issues and provides you His Healing Powers....May God Bless you and your family....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren please PM me your address so I can get some stuff to you.

+ Reply to Thread